Jerry, list,

Well, I'm glad that someone agrees with me, as far as the statement went.

Jerry, I think that you raise some good questions. Though, I must admit I'm
not entirely sure what a couple of your terms mean, such as 'coupling' and
'grammar'. As for 'unit', I'll guess you mean something like what the
original meaning of 'atom' meant, as something basic and indivisible from
which other, more complex things can be built up out of.

I've decided to answer the questions in the order reverse to the order in
which they were presented.

Do you consider this part - whole coupling to be "mereological in
> character"?

I'm not sure what that means, but since it's a part-whole relation, and
mereology is a study concerned with such relations, it would seem almost
tautological that it is "mereological in character". But there are
different and competing theories in mereology, and I don't want to be taken
as supporting any one of them specifically.

Is smoke a unit?  Is a precept a unit?

I take it you meant "percept", not precept. I would say it depends on the
context; in one context, we could take percepts as our basic elements, or
units, while in another context of analysis we might try to break it down
more, as presumably someone in experimental psychology might try to break
down sense impressions to the physical operations of the body and the thing
experienced. Similarly with smoke, if we just wanted to talk about the
matter in terms of commonly understood objects and signs, then it could be
considered a unit; but obviously, the chemist could try to break it down
more into the specific analysis of gases, and down to the atoms, of which
the smoke is composed, and so on further to particles and such.

> If "whole work of understanding." implies a coupling of external events
> with internal processes, then what is the nature of the grammar the
> generates the coupling of the parts of the whole?

This is where the meaning of 'coupling' worries me, but I'll suppose it's
something like correspondence. Also not sure what grammar is supposed to be
in this context. By "whole work of understanding", I meant the introduction
of a concept, whether in perceptual judgment or in an abduction, for
explaining the phenomenon (percept); which concept, when analyzed into
possible further interactions with the object of the percept, and then put
to experimental test in practical conduct, proves helpful for interacting
with the object of the percept. So the whole process of semiosis, up to the
following out of a scientific inquiry into the object, may be required to
grasp the (whole) object. Put in terms of correspondence, I suppose that
the fact that the object responds to our interactions in the way we predict
is what reveals that there is a correspondence between our concept of the
object and the object as it is in itself.

I'm not sure how to relate that to "the nature of the grammar the generates
the coupling of the parts of the whole". Part and whole here were
originally about the object as immediate and the object as dynamical, but
relating what is going on between external events and internal processes
(i.e., perception?), is a different kind of relating. Perhaps (and this is
simply a suggestion), we might think of there being the real object, which
has a part of it involved in perception, and there being the mind, which
has a part of it involved in perception, and these two (the real object and
the mind) are themselves parts of a semiosis, and so the 'grammar' that
would ultimately be appropriate would be that offered by semiotic.

What is the nature of the coupling between the smoke and the "whole" of the
> experience?

Hmm, that's a good question. Partly it depends upon what is meant by
experience, and whether one subscribes to the doctrine of immediate
perception. If one includes perception and conception, and what is
perceived and conceived, then smoke would be a part of the experience; and
with respect to perception, it would be a part of smoke, but with respect
to conception it would be the whole of the smoke. But, it is good to
recognize that in such case, we can think of experience in a somewhat
flexible way, such that we could consider the initial experience as one of
perception only, then the experience of seeing the smoke and coming to
recognize it as smoke, and then the experience later of interacting with
the fire that is the source of the smoke; or we could lump these altogether
as one long experience, and include in it any other interactions we ever
have or could have of perceiving the smoke. Of course, even in the latter
case, the smoke and the experience of it will not be the same thing,
because there is always us, the ones experiencing the smoke, either as
individuals or as a community, that are also always involved in the
experience. So the smoke remains part of the experience, not the whole of
it; while whether we consider the smoke as experienced in part, or as a
whole, depends on how experience is considered in a given context of
analysis.

-- Franklin

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Jerry LR Chandler <jerry_lr_chand...@me.com