From: Jerry Rhee <jerryr...@gmail.com>
Date: 2016/03/10 09:40 (GMT+02:00)
To: John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za>
Cc: Clark Goble <cl...@lextek.com>, Peirce List <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Abduction, Deduction, Induction : Analogy, Inquiry

Hi John,

I agree with your conclusion of the paper (although I did not read the body).
I was objecting to this portion of your post: "There are no magic rules for
finding the truth (or "anything goes" as Feyerabend would say in his typically
provocative manner)."

I think although unsound, and with consideration to its relatedness to context
and usage, Peirce's abduction can be an extremely helpful prescription for how
to progress honestly and earnestly in inquiry.  The Feyrabend quote has the
effect of diminishing the value of this great tool.

Best,
Jerry R

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 1:20 AM, John Collier