Jeff, list:

I think Paavola’s intention is to outline instinct and inference as
“indeterminate dyads”.  That is, I find that both are common in their
capacities as methods for problem framing rising out of habit-taking but a
major difference, as you say, is the quality/magnitude/duration of
inference over instinct; that is, the production of a *good* abductive
inference requires more and different experiences, which is the source for
the inquirer's power to recognize better.  Also, what’s obvious to you may
not be obvious to someone else, especially a new/different person, or, a
“modern reader”, which justifies one reason for calling attention to the
problem.

Consider the difference between “it rained last night” after seeing the
grass is wet versus explanation for notice of missing B in CP 5.189.  There
is little at stake in the former whereas the latter just produced an
unresolved debate between earnest inquirers.  Moreover, coming to agreement
on one matter simply requires checking the weather map (burstlike
evidence), whereas the other involves mediation over the icon and index to
produce common symbol (filamentlike).

I would think of it this way.  If the following were true,

“*Although Peirce came to recognize the nature and role of the normative
sciences only late in his career, still he was convinced that his own
account of the hierarchical dependence of logic on ethics and of ethics on
esthetics was a discovery of fundamental importance for a correct
understanding of his system, and one which distinguished his "pragmaticism"
from other less correct interpretations of his own famous maxim.*” ~Potter

and, “*If you carefully consider the question of pragmatism you will see
that it is nothing else than the question of the logic of abduction*”.
~Peirce

Should we classify “why grass is wet”/”it rained last night” as abductive
inference?

How about “why missing B”/”because B is Thirdness”?

As per your quote from his work, I’m not entirely sure but I think he means
that there is room for investigating fragments of the unity apart from the
unity; since unity depends on parts.  That is, there is great promise for
applying modern tools to this problem that is as old and older than Plato.

As for instinct/inference and questions of terms in general wrt to recent
conversation;

“Socrates begins with the good and then splits it into the just, the noble,
and the good.  The good is now a complex of three things, whose unity is as
puzzling as its fragmentation.” ~Benardete

“The contradiction can and must be resolved by the distinction between two
meanings of justice.  The distinction cannot become clear before one has
understood the teaching of the *Republic* regarding the relation of
philosophy and the city…

…If justice in the individual were identical with justice in the city; this
would require that the individual or rather his soul consist of the same
three kinds of “natures” as the city.  A very provisional consideration of
the soul seems to establish this requirement: the soul contains desire,
spiritedness or anger, and reason.”

~Strauss and Cropsey

“Why, then, is spirit privileged over appetite as the ally of reason?” ~Moss

“I show that ethics depends essentially upon esthetics and logic upon
ethics.”

~ Peirce, *ON THE BEARING OF ESTHETICS AND ETHICS UPON LOGIC*

one, two, three...spiritedness, desire, reason...spiritedness, appetite,
reason...

esthetics, ethics, logic...icon, index, symbol...C, A, B...

Beauty, Goodness, Justice...Beauty, Justice, Goodness...

Noble, Goodness, Justice...

Best,

Jerry Rhee