Gary R., List:

Are you referring to this suggestion of mine regarding CP 5.189 in the
brief spin-off thread on "Association of Categories"?

   - The surprising fact, C, is observed - Secondness.
   - But if A were true, C would be a matter of course - Thirdness.
   - Hence, there is reason to suspect that A is true - Firstness.

As discussed previously, this is propositional logic, rather than predicate
logic; so it does not directly correspond to result/rule/case.  To get
there--i.e., to formulate what Peirce elsewhere called a "minor indirect
probable syllogism"--we have to express the surprising fact C (result) and
the explanatory hypothesis A (case) as propositions, and replace the
if-then statement with the *reason *why C follows necessarily from A
(rule).  (By the way, I now *suspect *that this additional proposition is
the "missing B" in CP 5.189, whose absence is *surprising* to some; i.e., A
= case, B = rule, C = result.)

However, note that if my category assignments are correct, then--contrary
to your remarks below, but consistent with our exchange in the other
thread--this order (result/rule/case) is the one that corresponds to the
vector of aspiration, and the reverse order (case/rule/result) is the one
that matches the vector of process.  Another potential wrinkle here is the
ongoing controversy over whether necessary reasoning is more properly
associated with Thirdness (as you and I believe) or Secondness (as others
have argued).