JAS, List:

Yes, I was using "surprising result" interchangeably with "surprising fact". By "next" or "new category" I refer to the new category in the process of categorization generally described by Peirce in CP 1.490 and CP 5.72 (note, I am *NOT* using "categories in the sense of the three "universal" or "fundamental categories", but rather in the general organization of knowledge per CP 2.222). In the context of my initial comment, by "potentials" I mean the concepts or building blocks of reasoning or possibilities (the "speculative grammar") that are the 1ns basis for the current category at hand.

Mike