Kirsti, John FS, list,

Generally, concerns about appropriateness of others' messages should be addressed off-list to the manager and moderator Gary Richmond, and Kirsti may have already attempted that. Unfortunately, Gary is traveling and won't be back online till the second week of January. For what it's worth, it seems to me (the co-manager) that the current discussion has not yet departed too far and too long from Peirce-related issues. I'd suggest that people not get into an argument about the matter at the present time, and that they refresh their memories of pertinent sections of list founder Joseph Ransdell's discussion "How the Forum Works".

*What is relevant to post and discuss here?*
http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/PEIRCE-L/PEIRCE-L.HTM#relevance

   Since PEIRCE-L is best thought of as a public forum, which is
   primarily a place rather than a discussion group, people contribute
   or not as they think best, and come and go freely, as is taken for
   granted in public forums wherever they occur. There is no standing
   agenda except the promotion of philosophical conversation of the
   sort which one would expect from people with a special interest in
   Peirce and of other communication in support of that. Thus
   discussion should be Peirce-related but not necessarily on Peirce,
   and the working test for relevance would simply be a plausible
   explanation of why the topic in question should be under discussion
   on a list called "PEIRCE-L: The Philosophy of Charles Peirce", given
   that people subscribe to such lists with some more or less definite
   expectations about subject-matter in mind.
   [End quote]

*Caveat about correcting others*
http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/PEIRCE-L/PEIRCE-L.HTM#correction-caveat

   It is expected that criticism will be vigorous and diligently
   pursued: philosophy is understood here to be essentially a
   critically directed and self-controlled conversation. But there is
   one important caveat in this connection: If you feel that some
   messages being posted are not to the purpose of the list or that
   there is something someone is doing which should be discouraged, do
   NOT attempt to rectify that yourself by posting a message to that
   effect to the list in general. Because there is so little overt or
   formal moderation by the list manager, it is natural to suppose that
   the individual members can and should take that role as needed. But
   this rarely if ever produces the effect intended, regardless of how
   reasonable it may seem at a particular time. Contact me instead
   off-list and we will see what can or should be done, if anything,
   without generating a chain reaction of protests and
   counter-protests, which are the typical result of attempting to
   rectify the problem on-list.
   [End quote]

*Why the list manager should do the correcting*
http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/PEIRCE-L/PEIRCE-L.HTM#manager-corrects

   Should you contact the person yourself first, off-list, in an
   attempt to rectify their way of participating rather than bothering
   me with it? Although you do of course have a right—professional,
   moral, legal, whatever—to do this, and it may seem best to you, let
   me urge you to contact me first, nonetheless, unless there is some
   truly special and urgent reason to the contrary. There are several
   reasons for this:
   [.... End quote]

Best, Ben