Jon A., List:

It is also important to recognize that Peirce deliberately revised his
formulation over time from the indicative to the subjunctive conditional;
again, "Truth is that concordance of an abstract statement with the ideal
limit
towards which endless investigation *would *tend to bring scientific
belief" (CP 5.565, emphasis added; 1901).  Or as he later wrote, "I call
'truth' the predestinate opinion, by which I ought to have meant that
which *would
*ultimately prevail if investigation were carried sufficiently far in that
particular direction" (EP 2:457, emphasis in original; 1911).  Or as
Cornelius de Waal put it in *Peirce:  A Guide for the Perplexed*, "Peirce
stops talking about the final opinion as something we are *fated* to reach,
maintaining instead that whenever we engage in inquiry we do so with the
*hope* that it will lead to a final opinion ... Proposition *P* is true if
and only if, had all the facts necessary for establishing *P* been inquired
into indefinitely by a sufficiently large community of investigators, this
inquiry would have resulted in the permanently settled belief that *P*"
(pp. 132-135, emphases in original).