From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 29 March 2017 11:37 PM
To: tabor...@primus.ca
Cc: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] semantic problem with the term

Edwina, List:

It has never been my intention to insult you, and I have never resorted to
name-calling as you routinely have.  I have simply expressed my considered
opinion that your model of sign-action is significantly different from
Peirce's, and I have provided the reasons why I take that position.  I wish
that we could have a friendly discussion about this, rather than a debate--and
that others would join us in doing so--but unfortunately, we cannot seem to get
past our directly opposing convictions.

ET:  I use Peirce's term of 'representamen'  rather than 'sign' to acknowledge
the unique role in the triad; that mediative function/action in the triadic set
- and to differentiate it from the WHOLE Sign, the triad.

Again, Peirce does not define the Sign as a triad (or a triadic function) that
includes the Representamen; rather, he defines it as the Representamen, the
first correlate of a triadic relation.  The Object and Interpretant are not
additional parts of the Sign, they are the other two correlates in that triadic
relation.  To me, this is absolutely fundamental to Peircean semeiosis, so any
model that denies it is by definition non-Peircean.
[John Collier] Peirce uses “sign” in both ways, which can be confusing.

ET:  As I've often said, none of the parts of this triad exist 'per se' on
their own. They are not each 'subjects' in their own right and I disagree that
each is 'a constituent in their own universe'. I don't consider that the three
modal categories are 'universes'.

Of course they "exist," albeit only when they are in the mode of 2ns.  Peirce
explicitly referred to the Sign/Representamen, Object, and Interpretant as
"subjects" (EP 2:411); and he explicitly called the three modal categories
"Universes" (EP 2:478-479); and he explicitly stated that the Sign, both
Objects, all three Interpretants, and their relations are all constituents of
one or another Universe (EP 2:480-490).  Hence your disagreement on these
matters is with him, not just with me.
[John Collier] I suspect that Peirce meant universe of discourse, which is
quite a different thing from a universe (as in, say, Popper). Peirce uses
“subject” in a rather strange way in which predicates can be subjects.
Stjernfelt, Natural Propositions, 6.10 Hypostatic abstraction.

I have no objections to raise to your further points.

John

ET:  There is nothing wrong with using different terms.

I agree!  My issue is with (a) using the same terms that Peirce did, but then
assigning different definitions to them; and (b) using different terms, but
then claiming that your model is the same as Peirce's.

ET:  With regard to 'habits of formation' - what the heck do you think those
'habits' are doing?

What I am questioning is your definition of the Representamen as "a set of
habits of formation."  I do not see where Peirce ever associates the
Representamen with habits.  Rather, he identifies a habit as a final logical
Interpretant, precisely because it does not act as a Representamen to determine
any further logical Interpretants (EP 2:418).

ET:  As Peirce notes, 1.414, a 'bundle of habits' is a 'thing' or a substance.
That seems pretty clear to me that this 'bundle of habits FORMS the thing.

Saying that bundles of habits are substances (as Peirce did) is not the same as
saying that bundles of habits form substances (as you do).  When they are
Existents (mode of 2ns), Representamina, Objects, and Interpretants are all
bundles of habits in this sense.

Regards,

Jon S.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Edwina Taborsky