Jeffrey, List,

Thanks for the thoughtful contributions. Yes, you are correct, my question was regarding the real character of time and space.

Murray Murphey devotes a rather large section to this question at the conclusion of his The Development of Peirce's Philosophy, which I have been finding tremendously useful. (I find I tend to agree with Murphey's pronouncements. He analyzes Peirce very closely, and I especially like his analysis of the evolution of Peirce's thoughts.) (BTW, Houser noted Murphey's "controversial interpretations", but I have been unable to find to what specifically Houser was referring.)

The sense I have is that Peirce viewed time as preceding space, with both borne out of continuity. I agree with your concluding paragraph. One of my favorite Peirce quotes you paraphrased. To wit, "space does for different subjects of one predicate precisely what time does for different predicates of the same subject." (CP 1.501)

I got into this investigation by looking at the particulars of events and entities. I think it is a neat trick how Peirce relates events to time, and that entities arise from events. Peirce also clearly places thought within events.

I've been wondering if the more precise terminology is the time-space continuum.

Mike