John, Jon A, list,

Yes, this last post of yours, John, makes a lot of sense to me such that I
think we are fundamentally in agreement. I must admit that I was thrown a
bit by your comment in one message that you put induction first and
deduction last, but you've clarified that to some extent in remarking that
within the cycle that you can start anywhere. This "you can start anywhere"
still seems to me to be the case essentially for the growth of knowledge
speaking *most generally*.

It would seem that my only point of disagreement-is that *sometimes*, in
the wake of what I referred to as a "discrete complete inquiry" (adding
"discrete" to Peirce's expression "complete inquiry') that for the purpose
of that *kind* of inquiry, more precise,* that* inquiry, that the cycle
*does* seem to reach a kind of completion even if only tentatively, and
even if only temporarily. If not then why would Peirce even refer to the
three stages of a "*complete* inquiry" (emphasis added)?

This is to say, I think, that in *some* inquiries that after the inductive
testing affirms the hypothesis that the knowledge gained can actually be
"put to work," for example, in new technologies. Beyond that, it may even
be that the particular scientific issue under investigation is (albeit
fallibly) *settled*--perhaps for decades or longer (think, Isaac Newton).
By "settled" I mean that for the scientific community of at least that era
will hold that the affirmation of the hypothesis seems to reveal a "law of
nature" (strongly suggested by the fact that, for example, powerful new
technologies *can be* and *will* be and *are* developed).

But looking at the growth of science and knowledge more generally, yes, for
sure the cycle is in effect, so that even after hundreds of years Newtonian
physics, for example, must yield (at least in part) to Einsteinian physics,
and both (at least in part) to quantum theory. However, we should never
forget that Newtonian physics is *not* *aufgehoben*.

I look forward to exploring the other cycles you pointed to, John.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*