Charles,

 

I think your question hinges on whether the percept is treated as a sign or 
not. I dealt with this in Turning Signs at 
http://gnusystems.ca/TS/blr.htm#Perce and you may find that helpful. (Or maybe 
not. 😊

 

Gary f.

 

From: Charles Pyle [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: 25-Oct-17 10:13



Thanks, John. Very helpful.

However, I get confused trying to map these steps in the process of perception 
onto sign categories, I would think the first step must be a raw percept, an 
unprocessed visual field, which would then be instantly analyzed and 
categorized in terms of the preexisting catalog of types of objects, i.e. 
symbolic signs. Isn't that mapping the abduction? Only then, after the percept 
has been mapped onto a symbolic sign, could the process be regarded as a 
hypothesis from which implications could be drawn. I don't think one can 
generate hypotheses from an raw image, a pure icon. So isn't there a step 
before the abduction?

Charles Pyle

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to