John, Kirsti, List ...

JFS:
> In 1911, Peirce clarified that issues by using two distinct terms:
> 'the universe' and 'a sheet of paper'.  The sheet is no longer
> identified with the universe, and there is no reason why one
> couldn't or shouldn't shade a blank area of a sheet.

There is a difference between *being* a universe of discourse
and *representing* a universe of discourse.  The basement level
universe of discourse X is part of some object domain O in view
and the systems of signs that represent aspects of the universe
belong to whatever sign domain S and interpretant domain I are
relevant to the context of discourse at hand.

With logic as formal semiotics and semiotics as the study of
triadic sign relations, properly understanding how Peirce's
graphical symbol systems manage to represent universes of
discourse requires us to consider the larger contexts of
triadic sign relations in which they play their role.

Regards,

Jon