Jerry, List,

Gary F's comments on the Lowell Lectures he's been transcribing seem to me
to be just that: comments. Nothing definitive about them; they seem offered
as Gary's understanding of the text and meant merely to spur, hopefully,
substantive discussion (as he suggested early on). While I may not fully
agree with him in a very few details, in general I think his comments,
including these most recent ones, have been spot on.

Jerry wrote:

Your responses to the distinctions between spot, dot and blot appear to
avoid the basic logic of CSP and also appears to be remote from other
interpreters of CSP writings.

I have no idea where this peculiar comment  (GF appearing "to avoid the
basic logic of CSP" and his interpretations appearing "to be remote from
other interpreters of CSP writings) might mean, nor where it is coming
from. I see *none* of this and quite the contrary. Can you offer support
for your comments Jerry? Just a few examples would do for us to mull over
what you might have in mind.

As for Kirsti's remarks, Gary F responded:

Kirsti, you asked why my post about 2.14 put “categories” in quotation
marks. It’s because that is the term Peirce used for Firstness, Secondness
and Thirdness in the Cambridge Lectures of 1898. In the Lowell Lectures
(and the Syllabus) of 1903, he mostly used the term “elements” instead, as
we’ll see in Lecture 3, for instance. I’m drawing attention to the shift in
terminology because I think it reflects to a conceptual shift that becomes
increasingly evident in Peirce’s phenomenology from this point on.

This change in the terminology used to refer to 1ns, 2ns, and 3ns from the
1898 Lectures to the Lowells and Syllabus of 1903 is Peirce's, *not* Gary
F's. And while I will want to see where exactly he's going with this as we
approach Lowell 3 (I'm not reading ahead as I previously noted), the phrase
"*elements* of the phaneron" (emphasis added) immediately comes to mind for
how Peirce can refer to the three categories in consideration of
phenomenology.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]