}Gene, list:

        See my comments below: Overall - I think that your personal
antipathy towards industrialism and capitalism [an antipathy that I
do not share] means that you reject any thinker - even if they are
focused on issues that have nothing to do with these issues - who
does not share your personal views.
 On Tue 13/03/18  2:10 PM , Eugene Halton eugene.w.halto...@nd.edu
sent:
        Dear Gary R.,

                    Sorry that I misconstrued your criticism earlier, that
it was not about potential catastrophe but about whether “greed,
power, and especially crypto-religious reverence for deus-ex-machina
goals” are features of actually existing science and technology
rather than external to them. Yes, we do disagree and probably will
continue to, though I am grateful for your criticism.

        1] When scientists such as Julian Huxley, grandson of “Darwin’s
bulldog” T. H. Huxley and noted for coining the term “the new
synthesis” in mid-20th century genetics called for “the lower
strata” to be denied “too easy access” to hospitals to reduce
reproduction, and stated that “long unemployment should be a ground
for sterilization,” it was the voice of actually existing science
speaking, just as it was when noted ethologist and Nazi Konrad Lorenz
made similar statements in 1941, after Nazi “medical murders”
under the aegis of eugenics had begun. Admitting ways in which
wrongheaded and potentially evil ideas can operate in the practices
of science and technology is, to my way of thinking, a means of
acknowledging the fallibility and potentials of these practices for
self-correction.

        EDWINA: I consider that you making the critical thinking errors of
generalization as well as 'post hoc ergo propter hoc'. Because SOME
individuals involved in science had certain opinions about
non-scientific topics, does not mean that ALL scientists feel that
way nor does it mean that science CAUSES these beliefs. These beliefs
remain individual and psychological; i.e., specific to the individual
and have absolutely  nothing to do with science.

                  2]   You also say, “You will have to offer much more
evidence if I’m to believe that Peirce’s character and Carnegie's
were ‘similar,’ that Peirce was ‘hypocritical’ in his
condemnation of the Gospel of Greed. And you draw some
extraordinarily conclusions from a few facts and a single comment to
Lady Welby by Peirce, while your question as to what side of the
civil war Peirce would place himself based on his father's views is
bogus.”

                    Fair enough. I admire Peirce’s criticism of the gospel
of greed. I simply wanted to indicate that his aristocratic outlook
struck me at odds with that criticism. I did not compare his
character with Carnegie’s, only that other comments Peirce made
later seemed similar to what Carnegie expressed.

        EDWINA: Could you explain what you mean by 'his aristocratic
outlook'? Obviously you have a description of 'aristocratic outlook'
- and are hostile to it.

                  3]   Here below is a fuller version of Peirce’s 1908
letter to Lady Welby, where he says “The people ought to be
enslaved,” that universal suffrage is “ruinous,” that
labor-organizations are “clamouring today for the ‘right’ to
persecute and kill people as they please,” that the “lowest
class” “insists on enslaving the upper class.”

        Peirce is clearly anti-worker, anti-union, anti-lower class,
pro-upper-class in these statements, with zero empathy for the plight
of workers in the face of rabid industrial capitalism in America.
Consider, Upton Sinclair published his novel The Jungle, two years
earlier, depicting the sordid conditions of slaughterhouse workers in
Chicago. Consider that pragmatists John Dewey and George Herbert Mead
were already actively involved with settlement houses in Chicago,
with lower class immigrants and workers, seeking a critical
understanding of democracy in the grip of industrial capitalism.

        EDWINA: What evidence do you have for your description above? The
fact that books were published by others about work situations has
nothing to do with Peirce.

        4. Peirce: “Being a convinced Pragmaticist in Semeiotic, naturally
and necessarily nothing can appear to me sillier than rationalism; and
folly in politics can go no further than English liberalism. The
people ought to be enslaved; only the slaveholders ought to practice
the virtues that alone can maintain their rule. England will discover
too late that it has sapped the foundations of culture. The most
perfect language that was ever spoken was classical Greek; and it is
obvious that no people could have spoken it who were not provided
with plenty of intelligent slaves. As to us Americans, who had, at
first, so much political sense, we always showed a disposition to
support such aristocracy as we had; and we have constantly
experienced, and felt too keenly, the ruinous effects of universal
suffrage and weakly exercised government. Here are the
labor-organizations, into whose hands we are delivering the
government, clamouring today for the ‘right’ to persecute and
kill people as they please. We are making them a ruling class; and
England is going to do the same thing. It will be a healthful
revolution; for when the lowest class insists on enslaving the upper
class, as they are insisting, and that is just what their intention
is, and the upper class is so devoid of manhood as to permit it,
clearly that will be a revolution by the grace of God; and I only
hope that when they get the power they wont be so weak as to let it
slip from their hands. Of course, it will mean going back relatively
to the dark ages, and working out a new civilization, this time with
some hopes that the governing class will use common-sense to maintain
their rule. The rationalists thought their phrases meant the
satisfaction of certain feelings. They were under the hedonist
delusion. They will find they spell revolution  of the most degrading
kind.”

        EDWINA; My reading of the above is that Peirce was critiquing
universal suffrage because of the disastrous effects of LIV [low
information voters] - something we have all seen in modern times.

        And how can one object to his concern about unions - who have both
benefited AND harmed the workers. I'm sure you are aware of the
current fights by workers NOT to belong to a union - which can become
a tyrannical governance in itself.

        5] And here below is Peirce in another statement, saying his
conservatism supports “letting business methods develop without the
interference of law,” and that he is “a disbeliever in
democracy.” Perhaps he might be exaggerating, but I still find
these offputting, not to mention unnecessary to conservatism. There
were also conservative critics of capitalism back then, such as Henry
Adams.

        “If they were to come to know me better they might learn to think
me ultraconservative. I am, for example, an old-fashioned christian,
a believer in the efficacy of prayer, an opponent of female suffrage
and of universal male suffrage, in favor of letting business methods
develop without the interference of law, a disbeliever in democracy,
etc.” (MS 645).

        EDWINA: So what? What does this have to do with his semiosis and his
theories on reason, on evolution, on Mind?

                 6]    Finally, I didn’t state that what side Peirce took
regarding the civil war was based on his father’s views. I was only
trying to express that given that his father had been pro-slavery, and
that Peirce had lived through the times of the civil war, that one
might expect discretion from him regarding “enslaving.” But
actually it turns out, unfortunately, that Peirce did continue to
hold his father’s view. What do you think of this:
        “…my father was regarded in much the same way by the majority of
his Massachusetts fellow-citizens,-i.e. of those who knew his crime [
of supporting Negro slavery], though it differed from that of the
Southwicks in consisting in a political, not a religious belief. I
myself fully share my father's abomination. For I do not regard such
slavery as an owner is likely to exercize as half as horrible as that
to which many,-not to insist on saying the great majority of
us,-subject ourselves. Freedom of thought is, to my thinking, so much
more valuable than any other kind...” (MS, 847. Can also be found
cited in Brent, p. 31)

        EDWINA: Peirce was supporting freedom of thought. Not the thought
itself, but the freedom to think it. You, Gene, reject it.

                    7] Again, I deeply admire Peirce’s vast philosophy.
But I also abhor the narrow-mindedness of these types of private
beliefs he seems to have held, all the more so given the fecundity of
his ideas such as agapasm. I wish that the deep poverty and injustice
Peirce personally suffered could have tempered his prejudices in
later life and opened his eyes to some of the institutional sources
of injustice and poverty, but I don’t get the sense that that
happened.

        EDWINA: Why should his personal thoughts concern you? He has the
right to them. Does he have to think like you? Do you seriously imply
that his poverty and the injustices he suffered were some kind of
punishment for his 'bad thoughts'? Do you imply that, according to
you, he OUGHT to think like you? Why?

                    I hope I have addressed some of your criticisms, Gary,
even if we still do not agree.
                  Gene Halton