John, Jon, Gary f, list,

You wrote:

JS: If these issues were hazy and imperfect for Peirce, Lady Welby, and
the Significs group, I don't believe that they can be resolved by
the same methods they used in their day.

.
And yet in the passage you quoted Peirce writes:

Now it is easy to see that my attempt to draw this three-way,

“trivialis,” distinction, relates to a real and important three-way

distinction, and yet that it is quite hazy and needs a vast deal of

study before it is rendered perfect.

Peirce says here that this kind of analysis "relates to a real and
important three-way distinction." It may yet have been--at that point in
time--"quite hazy," but since Peirce saw it as "a real and important
three-way distinction" there would seem to be very good reason to continue
to study it in the interests of rendering it at least a bit less imperfect.

You concluded:

JS: I don't want to block anybody's "way of inquiry".  But I wouldn't
waste my time, *unless* some significant new evidence is discovered.

From my remarks just above I'm sure it's clear that I hardly find it a
"waste of time" to pursue this sort of study for those who, like Jon, are
interested in it. And, yes, comments about 'wasting time' can tend to block
the way of inquiry in my opinion. So, if someone is not interested in this
line of inquiry then they needn't read the thread, ought read or
participate in or start another thread. As you quote Gary f as writing: "I’d
better leave this thread to those who can follow it, or those looking for
more definitive answers to questions that Peirce left open."

At the same time there are certainly other "promising" questions that
Peirce left unanswered. :

JS: Those are also questions that people who have (until now) ignored
Peirce are likely
to find significant.  They might become converts to Peircean methods
*if* his methods, when applied to the new evidence, could answer them.

Let's not only hope so, but also work towards drawing these potential
"converts to Peircean methods" to them.

But in terms of *semeiotic theory-*-certainly not everyone's cup of tea--a
question that Peirce termed "a *real and important* three-way distinction"
which will need "*a vast deal of study* before it is rendered perfect"
seems one that those so inclined to study ought not be dissuaded from
doing. Quite the contrary.

In a word, I see no reason why any and all areas of inquiry suggested by
Peirce work ought not be pursued.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*