I appreciate your reply and will parse it out a bit. I certainly do not
defend words and language as final in any sense. My feeling words are sort
of like pincers that vastly limit whatever the sign may be. Democracy, for
example, is an impossible term minus all manner of elaboration yet it would
hardly profit from being collapsed into D and having its aspects denoted by
other symbols or abbreviations. The struggle is to take such a term and
make it resonate with those meanings which together suggests its
ontological merit. I am very interested in the Wittgenstein connection
because I feel he and Peirce are peas on a pod, both captives as we all are
of their time, but equally monumental in breaking open the horizon so that
something unprecedented and evolutionary can occur. Thanks again, S

amazon.com/author/stephenrose