Edwina, Jon S, list,

In my view the central question here is not whether JAS is a theist and
that he is interpreting Peirce in that light, but whether Peirce was a
theist and that his remarks on God and Mind *ought* to be interpreted in
light of his theism. I would maintain that there there can be little, if
any, doubt that he was a theist. Just a cursory glance at this page from
Gary Furhman's blog should at least suggest as much.
https://www.gnusystems.ca/CSPgod.htm But the literature is now packed with
analyses of his theism.

So, contrary to your atheistic interpretation of, for example, Mind as not
referring to God, I would say that Mind most certainly ought be interpreted
in Peirce's work in light of his theism such that Mind (so capitalized) in
Peirce's thinking *is* the Mind of God. I do not see a moment in his
comments from his youth through the more extended arguments near the end of
his life, notably in his writing "A Neglected Argument for the Reality of
God," where he ever--even once--expresses doubts regarding that Reality. If
anyone knows of such an expressed doubt, I would be most eager to read it.

On the other hand, his view of God seems to me to be essentially a
non-standard and decidedly scientific one (Peirce was, for example, notably
critical of theology and theologians). There are, however, other moments
when he seems to align himself with the Judeo-Christian religious
traditions, say, in the interest of participating in a larger community of
faith (see, for example, his comments on why he says the Apostle's Creed
with his fellow congregates in which he seems to suggest that he does so in
the spirit of Christian brotherhood and community).

As for Jon's remarks to which you responded, I do not see that he speaks of
or even hints at "the Five Ways" or "a First Cause." Where'd that come from?

So, in a word, it seems to me much more natural to interpret Mind as Peirce
employs it, as well as his arguments relating to the earliest cosmology
--which, btw, are *not* definitively stated in the passage you most
frequently quote regarding this matter, viz., CP 1.411-412, and which early
cosmological views are, in fact, modified dramatically categorially in the
last of the 1898 lectures (I'm thinking of the famous "Blackboard" analogy:
see Jon Alan Schmidt's excellent paper which includes a discussion of this,
"A Neglected Additament: Peirce on Logic, Cosmology, and the Reality of
God," in which, btw way, he acknowledges your help, through discussions on
Peirce-L, in honing his argumentation)--again, it is natural to interpret
Mind and his Early Cosmological discussions through Peirce's theism.

As an atheist you will no doubt continue to disavow theism; but there have
been not only many articles and papers, but now also a number of books
analyzing Peirce's theism. This has always been a contentious matter for
some Peirce scholars (I mean especially the ones who are atheists or
agnostics), but in my view Peirce's arguments regarding the Reality of God
speak for themselves.

Best,

Gary R

*Gary Richmond*