John,

I took up your reference to vol 4 in Chronological ed. - I you can shed any more light on loops and twists in CPS's way to his latest existential graps, I would be most grateful.

Greimas, the Lithuanian semiotician I have met and discussed with, used a square similar to the one in page 397. It turned out that he had never thought of his semiotic square in terms of triad (or triple) relations.

A square, like the diagram in CSP page 397, can be folded two ways. Then one gets two triangles. One recto, one verso, each visible at a time, but not together (the very idea of recto and verso).

My interest lies mainly on the relation of logical negation and other forms of opposition. Pythagorean oppositions, for example are often treated as negations, without proper grounds.

Best,

Kirsti Määttänen