John, I went through Venn's book with a fine-toothed comb. It was, and
still is, a most excellent introduction to empirical logic, but nothing was
groundbreaking. I think of it as Inductive Logic 101, and Peirce's
Illustrations on the Logic of Science as Induction 201.

Peirce mentioned the book somewhere in the Collected Papers, but doesn't
say much. If I recall correctly, he picks at a detail.

Venn's book, The Logic of Chance, was more groundbreaking, but not to
Peirce. Peirce writes a bit more on that book in the Collected Papers.

I've only seen Venn mention Peirce in regard to Peirce's symbolism for
symbolic logic.

It's too bad there wasn't more interaction between the two. To my taste, I
would love to read a logic book with Venn's prose, consummately organized
as he's done with his three logic books, but including Peirce's concepts.
To me, reading Venn is like taking a long pleasant walk through the woods
with my wise grandpa. I'm sure others have complained that the walk could
have been significantly shortened and still have covered the same info.
Peirce complained… something about too much talk about words.

Matt