List,

While working on my transcription of Lowell Lecture 6 from the manuscript on
the SPIN site
(https://www.fromthepage.com/jeffdown1/c-s-peirce-manuscripts/ms-472-1903-lowell-lecture-vi),
 I came across what strikes me as a key passage in it, and what struck me as a
key term in it: “direct experience”. To get a more exact sense of what Peirce
meant by that term, I collected several passages where Peirce had used it in
other contexts and arranged them in chronological order (they date from 1893 to
1903). I found the resulting collection so interesting that I’ve now included
it in the Peirce resources on my website:
http://www.gnusystems.ca/Peirce.htm#dirxp. It throws a direct light, so to
speak, on Peirce’s phenomenology.

Coincidentally (or providentially), I’ve also been reading Frederik
Stjernfelt’s article responding to some critical reviews of his Natural
Propositions,
http://frederikstjernfelt.dk/Peirce/Answer%20to%20Critics%20of%20Natural%20Propositions%202016.pdf.
 This includes some remarks about the nature of the immediate object, which was
the subject of a discussion on the list awhile back, which got bogged down
partly for lack of specific examples of IOs, especially examples that do not
involve human mentality. Stjernfelt includes two very specific examples, which
I will quote below (though I’d recommend reading the whole section where he
discusses the matter, which starts about halfway through the article.) It’s
important to note that Stjernfelt’s definition of the immediate object is a
functional one — the immediate object plays an indexical role within the
functioning of a Dicisign — so I’ll begin with that. The words in double
brackets below are Stjernfelt’s:

[[  I claim that the immediate object (IO) is a concept addressing the way the
sign is connected to the object (or is claimed by the sign to be so connected),
while the opposed category, the dynamic object (DO) is the object of the sign
as existing independently of the particular sign relation. That is, IO refers
to the identity and the reference to the object - not to any description of the
object, because the task of description is fulfilled by the no less than three
concepts of interpretant (immediate, dynamic, final, respectively). ]]

[[ To take an example: a guy points while exlaiming: “Look at that car over
there!” “Which of them?” “The red, not the blue one!” The initial pointing
gesture combined with the reference "over there" constitutes the Immediate
Object - but is subsequently supplied with descriptive material in order to
make precise the object of the pointing (hereafter, some predicative
description may follow: "That car is a German car".) Thus, descriptive features
may indeed enter the Immediate Object to the extent that it serves the
identification of the object - but the defining function of it remains object
identification, not description. ]]

[[ … in bacteria sign use … The object of the bacterium is the sugar detected
by its sensors - and the Immediate Object, again, is the index which purports
to put the sign in contact with that object - that is, the weak interaction of
the sensors of the bacterium and the active spot on the periphery of the
carbohydrate molecule. This leads, in turn, the organism to swim in the
direction of higher concentration of the Dynamic Object so detected. ]]

I think the role of the immediate object can be clearly visualized using the
conventions of Existential Graphs. A line of identity on the sheet of assertion
asserts that “something exists.” When one end of a line of identity is attached
to a “spot” (marked on the sheet by a verbal label of some kind), the spot
furnishes a description (predicate, attribute) of it, and thus tells us what
kind of thing it is. The spot together with the line of identity represents a
proposition (or more generally, a Dicisign). Now, suppose the other end of that
line of identity is a “loose end”, not attached to anything. We can read that
end as the Secondness or unqualified existence of the dynamic Object of the
proposition. Then we can read the other end of the line of identity, the point
attached to the “hook” or “blank” of the “spot” or “rhema”, as the immediate
Object of the proposition. That attachment is the Subject of the proposition,
the part of the sign which represents the sign as referring to the dynamic
Object. In other words it represents the object within the sign as identical to
an Object existing independently of the sign relation. The defining
characteristic of the Dicisign is that it represents itself to represent its
Object in this way.

But whether this visualization helps to clarify the concept of “immediate
object” or not, I think the two examples given by Stjernfelt should be helpful.
Especially in connection with the concept of direct experience.

Gary f.