Gary F, list:

        I am saying that I understand [I think] your interpretation of the
rheme as lacking an Immediate Object- and it makes sense to me -
which is why I said it was a logical analysis. After all, if the
semiosic interaction is not direct [indexical] - then, one does
indeed have to ask: Where's the DO? It could be hidden!  And how
could there be an IO? But- if a rheme [Interpretant in a mode of
Firstness] also exists - then, one has to ask: how did such an
Interpretant emerge? What's its informational base? Therefore -  -
my question has been whether the informational stimulus for this
rheme can be found in the future of the semiosic process. This would
enable abduction.  I note that you have not replied to this question.

        As for your rejection of the triad of IO/R/II - which you say is
non-Peircean, I reject your conclusion. Since we know that the
Peircean semiosis is triadic - and is usually defined as O-R-I
[Object/Representamen/Interpretant] - then, to clarify this set into
its six parts: DO-IO-R-II-DI-FI is quite valid- and most certainly
has been thoroughly and extensively analyzed by Peirce.  And- to
separate this set of six 'nodes' into the external and internal
processes is equally valid. Peirce himself was quite specific about
the fact of external and internal processes. The set of IO-R-II is
INTERNAL to the Receiver/Site B - or whatever you want to call it in
this semiosic interaction. I consider the full semiosic Sign - which
thus is dialogic and interactional -  to be this full set - made up
of three internal, [IO/R/II]; the other three are external processes.

        But - my definition of 'the Sign' is not confined to this internal
set of IO/R/II. I have always [unlike Jon] included the DO as
necessary within the semiosic process. There need not be a DI - at
this current time. And there need not be an FI - at this current
time. However, the semiosic process must, at some time, provide for
all aspects of the full six parts of the semiosic process.

        Edwina
 On Sun 24/06/18  5:49 PM , g...@gnusystems.ca sent:
        Gary R,

        You appear to have reacted to my post without reading it to the end
— otherwise you couldn’t have said that I “ completely ignore
here that Peirce writes that a Rheme will perhaps "afford some
information."” This is simply not true, as you will see if you read
the latter part of my post. You on the other hand appear to ignore the
crucial part of Peirce’s definition of a rheme, namely that “it is
not interpreted as doing so.” This is crucial because Peirce’s
third trichotomy of signs in the Syllabus (rheme/dicisign/argument)
is defined by Peirce in terms of their interpretants, not in terms of
the nature of their objects.

        I might add that Jon’s (and Edwina’s) notion of the “Sign”
as IO/R/II, a notion not found in Peirce, is another source of
confusion for the inquiry into what an Immediate Object is. But I’d
rather focus on Peirce’s own definitions.

        Gary F.