Robert, List:

My apologies to all for the accidental post when I first started drafting
this reply.  I was doing some reformatting and clicked on the "Send" button
by mistake.

I agree that Peirce used "replica" only for Legisigns in his 1903 taxonomy,
such that his classification at that time included Sinsigns that were
*not *Replicas
of Legisigns.  However, I remain unable to identify any clear-cut cases of
such Sinsigns.  Nevertheless, the quote from CP 2.261 merits careful
consideration.

CSP:  A Rhematic Symbol or Symbolic Rheme [e.g., a common noun] is a sign
connected with its Object by an association of general ideas in such a way
that its Replica calls up an image in the mind which image, owing to
certain habits or dispositions of that mind, tends to produce a general
concept, and the Replica is interpreted as a Sign of an Object that is an
instance of that concept.

How might we restate this in accordance with Peirce's later terminology of
multiple Objects and Interpretants?  Perhaps it will be more
straightforward to analyze your example instead.

RM:  When I write the word "freedom", I write one instance of the concept

According to the quote, you write a *Replica*, which is interpreted as a *Sign
*of "an instance of that concept," which is its *Object*.  More
specifically, I suggest (tentatively) that this is the individual
*Dynamic *Object--the
instance of the concept that you, as the Utterer, have in mind upon writing
the Replica--while the concept itself, as the collection or continuum of
all such instances, is the *General* Object.

RM:  ... which produces the idea of freedom in the mind of every one which
know english and perceive the graphism.

I suggest (more confidently) that this is the Immediate Interpretant, and
that anything of which "freedom" could be correctly predicated by someone
possessing only knowledge of written English and its definitions--i.e.,
Sign System Acquaintance, but no Collateral Experience--is a constituent of
the Immediate Object.  The Dynamic Interpretant is the *actual *idea ("a
general concept") that the event of *reading* the word "freedom"--an *Instance
*of the Sign--produces in the mind of any *one *person, in accordance with
his/her (fallible) Interpretative Habits ("certain habits or dispositions
of that mind").

RM:  Clearly a replica is an instance and personally I always considered
this an obvious fact.

It is *not *obvious to me that the two terms are equivalent.  I would say
instead that the Replica is the enduring arrangement of ink on a page or
pixels on a screen, while the Instance is the occurrence that determines a
single interpreting Quasi-mind to a single Dynamic Interpretant.  If we
project the word "freedom" on a wall where 100 different people read it,
there is only one Replica *initially*, but 100 Instances, resulting
*subsequently
*in 100 *additional *Replicas as the Dynamic Interpretants in the people's
minds.