John, Edwina, Jeff, list,

You quoted Potter and Shields:

"Peirce proposed the definition: “Whatever is continuous has material
parts,” emphasizing that a continuum should not be thought of as a
collection of points."

JS: What are the material parts of continuous semiosis?

But Peirce explicitly gives these examples of material parts in the passage
we are referring to which he prefaces with the definition: "Whatever is
continuous has material parts.":

CSP: ". . .all realities, or all spiritual realities, or are all ideas, or
are all characters, or are all relations, or are all external
representations, etc."

I personally think *all* of the above have the potential of figuring into
some semiosis, but *certainly* "all ideas" and "all external
representations" can be easily seen as 'material parts' of "what is
continuous" as Peirce employs these expressions in the passage we've been
discussing and which I quote a portion of below. And note well that his use
of 'thing' and 'object' is very general here so that one might say, for
example, that a sign is an *object* of ones analysis, that the performance
of a play is a *thing *which a critic, for example, might analyze.

The *material parts* of a thing or other object, *W*, that is composed of
such parts, are whatever things are, firstly, each and every one of them,
other than *W*; secondly are all of some one internal nature (for example,
are all places, or all spatial realities, or all spiritual realities, or
are all ideas, or are all characters, or are all relations, or are all
external representations, etc.)

Again, I am working on the draft of a post responding to Jeff including
some further thoughts on this topic, including that these "material parts"
"are all of some one internal nature."

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*