Jon, list,

If you’ve read the whole of the Atkins book I’ll have to catch up with you, as
I’m only on Chapter 5 (of 7). But we could begin this thread with what Atkins
calls the “Modified Kantian Insight”: The phenomenological categories somehow
are based on, are derived from, are generated by, or otherwise correspond to
the logical forms of propositions as discovered in formal logic, which is a
part of mathematics.

I’m inclined to agree with Atkins that Peirce never abandoned this “insight,”
and that from 1902 on, Peirce’s phenomenology included both logical analysis
and “inspective analysis.” I associate the latter with Peirce’s more
experiential descriptions of the categories, such as his description of
Secondness as the “double consciousness” of effort and resistance we experience
when pushing against a door that refuses to open. This corresponds to a dyadic
relation in the formal logic of relations. This in turn is represented in EGs
by a rhema or predicate that takes two subjects, such as “_____ kills _____”,
which appears on the sheet of assertion (or phemic sheet) as a “Spot” with two
“Pegs.” Attach a Line of Identity to each Peg and you have an icon of a
proposition (not a pure icon, of course, because the interpretation is
conventional, and because the Spot has a verbal label). It is logically
analyzed into a predicate represented by the Spot with its Pegs, and two
subjects represented by the two Lines of Identity.

If you’ve gone along with this so far, I need to ask why you seem to posit a
correspondence between continuous predicates and Lines of Identity in your
recent posts -- for instance in your recent reply to John S., referring to “the
continuity of the single predicate being represented by continuous Lines of
Identity.” Lines of Identity are of course continuous, but how can they come to
represent a predicate rather than a subject? (Are you possibly reading the
verbal label on a Spot as a subject?) If you’ve already explained this, I must
have missed it.

My own best guess at the moment is that Peirce’s continuous predicate cannot be
diagrammed with EG’s at all. It is continuous because it cannot be analyzed
into parts which differ from one another, and I don’t see how this kind of
continuity can be represented in EGs. I have a similar hunch that modality
cannot be represented visually, at least not in the iconic way that EGs
represent the -adicity or “valency” of predicates, and that Peirce eventually
abandoned the Gamma graphs for precisely that reason. I would love to be proved
wrong on both counts, because for years I have been looking for a way to use
visual diagrams to explain the phenomenological categories to people untrained
in logic or mathematics. So far my efforts to use the EGs for that purpose have
come to naught. They are fine for logical analysis, but their correspondence to
the experiential basis of the “indecomposable elements of the phaneron” is not
obvious, at least not to me. Or rather it’s not obvious how they correspond;
the Atkins formulation of the modified Kantian insight says they correspond
“somehow”, but I’d like to make that less vague by visual means.

Hence my interest in this topic.

Gary f.

} For a burning would is come to dance inane. [Finnegans Wake 250] {

 <http://gnusystems.ca/wp/> http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ Turning Signs gateway