Gary F, List,

Thank you for pointing out the source of the footnote I quoted.

For those interested in seeing how Peirce applies ideas drawn from the
mathematics of quaternions to algebraic systems of logic, see section 3 in "The
Simplest Mathematics". (CP 4.250-306). At 4.258, Peirce provides an
interpretation of truth and falsity in a system of dichotomic logic. He offers
a diagram in which the values of what is true and false are arranged along
horizontal lines, with an origin in the middle. Peirce says that a value, x,
which is in the upper right quadrant of truth can be considered to have a
transformation by rotation into the lower left quadrant of falsity. Here is a
modification of his diagram showing the rotation.

[cid:1aebdaf2-178f-4d5a-ad5a-a95117375331]

This type of rotation is precisely the kind of transformation that we find in
the complex plane.

After developing the system of logic and providing some definitions of key
relations, including the logic connectives along with the relations of
quantity, aggregation and composition, he supplies an interpretation of how the
values of the variables in such a system will be transformed under different
functions. In order to explain how logical multiplication (functional and
relative) works, he interprets the system in terms of a multiplication table of
the quaternions.

In the next section, Peirce is using a set of chemical diagrams as a model for
explaining how he intends to develop a trichotomic system of logic. In the
runup to the discussion, he points out in the first paragraph of the section
that he has already, in the previous discussion of logical multiplication,
being employing a conception of multiplication that is "purely triadic".

One reason the account of operational multiplication is purely triadic, I take
it, is that it is being interpreted in terms of a multidimensional system of
quaternions. I would be interested to see how the account of relations that he
develops on the chemical model in the 1902 explanation of the trichotomic
system of algebraic logic compares to what he is doing in 1906 development of
the existential graphs. In particular, I would like to better understand how
the account of multiplication that is developed in sections 3 and 4 of "The
Simplest Mathematics"--which is explained in terms of the composition of
relations--compares to the account logical multiplication that is developed in
the 1906 account of the gamma graphs in the "Apology" and "Bedrock" essays.

If anyone has thoughts about this comparison, I would be interested in hearing
suggestions about how multiplication is being modeled in this modal
system--topologically conceived.

Yours,

Jeff

P.S. For those who might like to see a gentle introduction to the complex plane
(including a very accessible illustration of the Riemann surface) and the
system of quaternions, I recommend the following videos which provide very
helpful moving diagrams.

  1.   See the 12 videos in the series "Imaginary numbers are real:  "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T647CGsuOVU
[http://img.youtube.com/vi/T647CGsuOVU/0.jpg]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T647CGsuOVU>

Imaginary Numbers Are Real [Part 1: Introduction] -
YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T647CGsuOVU>
www.youtube.com
For early access to new videos and other perks:
https://www.patreon.com/welchlabs More information and resources:
http://www.welchlabs.com Imaginary numbers ...

2. For an explanation and visual illustration of the quaternions, see:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0B>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0Bg
[http://img.youtube.com/vi/d4EgbgTm0Bg/0.jpg]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0Bg>

What are quaternions, and how do you visualize them? A story of four
dimensions. - YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0Bg>
www.youtube.com
How to think about this 4d number system in our 3d space. Home page:
https://www.3blue1brown.com Thanks to supporters:
http://3b1b.co/quaternion-thanks Quant...

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor