Jon S., List,

My strategy for interpreting these passages is to take Peirce at his word when
he refers to the triadic relations that are involved. In order to interpret "μ
is the surrender by A of B" and "ν is the acquisition by A of D" as triadic and
not merely dyadic relations, my hunch is that he is considering these actions
as intentional in character. The object surrendered and the agent who
surrenders it are existing individuals in the relation of agent and patient,
but that existential description of the individuals is part of an intentional
action by A. As a general sort of thing, the intention makes the action of
surrendering triadic in character--and so too with the action of A acquiring
object D.

The case that you cite of an object being sold involves a transfer of money and
a contract. The simpler case of exchange as barter with no contract is
illustrative of how other kinds of relations may be involved when more general
things, such as property laws and legal systems, are governing the intentional
acts. As a historical point, it is reasonable to suppose that social
conventions governing exchanges by barter developed prior to any contracts or
legal systems. Consequently, I think that the proper analysis of every genuine
triadic relation involves a correlate that, itself, has the character of a
general rule. As a correlate, that intention, or property law, or what have
you, may involve a general rule that is part of a larger system of rules (such
as a legal system).

Having said that, the reason the number of triadic relations involved in
tetradic, pentadic and higher order relations goes up by a power of 10 is not
obvious to me.  While it isn't obvious, here is a conjecture:  Peirce may be
thinking about the operation of general laws and intentions as conforming to a
general model that applies to all genuinely triadic relations.

One such model is articulated in "The Logic of Mathematics, an attempt to
develop my categories from within". In that account of genuinely triadic
relations, the law of quality and most general laws of fact each involves three
clauses. The first clause governs each correlate considered in itself. The
second clause governs the dyadic relations between pairs of correlates. The
third clause governs the triadic relations between the three correlates. It is
possible that the operation of the three clauses involved in such law might
multiply the number of relations that may be involved in tetradic, pentadic,
sextadic (etc.) relations by a power of ten in each case. The long explanations
that he provides in this essay of the triadic relations that are part of the
laws of space and the laws of physics may be illustrative of this general
pattern.

Generalizing on these points, I think that the principles of logic that govern
self-controlled acts of inference are, similarly, parts of larger systems of
logical rules. Something as straightforward as the rule governing the first
figure of the syllogism (the nota notae) is a rule that is related, as part of
a larger logical system, to the principles of identity, non-contradiction,
excluded middle, etc. The systematic connections that hold between the
underlying laws of logic are probably richer and deeper than anything we are
able to express in our little theories of logic (logica utens or logica
docens).  As a result, the analysis of the triadic relations that are involved
in a symbolic argument must take into account the relations that hold between
the guiding principle of the inference and the other rules that are essential
to inferences of that form. Peirce is offering an outline of how this might
work in his explanation of the three clauses that are part of the general law
of logic.

In order to explain how our conceptions of the laws of logic--conceived as
principles that govern self-controlled acts of reasoning--might have evolved in
the human species, Peirce considers the simple case of a child learning that
hot stoves should not be touched. In "Faculties", "Consequences" and "Further
Consequences," Peirce starts with the child forming a more or less deliberate
intention to touch the stove. When the child learns that it is not possible for
him to hold his hand on the stove, he learns that his parents were correct and
his supposition was incorrect. As such, it looks like there is a strategy that
may be at work, which is to explain how relatively simpler cases of intentional
actions might later give rise to new conceptions--including a conception of the
leading principle that governs the type of inferences that were involved in the
learning about the stove.

Consequently, I think that some clarity could be achieved by applying the
analysis of the triadic relations that are involved in progressively more
complicated tetradic, pentadic, sextadic, etc. relations to simple
examples--such as that of a child learning how to engage more or less
self-controlled patterns of logical reasoning. My assumption is that the child
was already capable of thinking in a manner that conformed to the laws of logic
from an early age. The instinctive patterns of inference were not subject to
much self-control at the ages of 1 and 2, but the child was learning how to use
a conventional system of symbols (i.e., a natural language) as a matter of
habit. In time, what the child learned was how to represent those laws to
himself as principles. In turn, the child learned to recognise what those
principles, functioning as imperatives, might require of him in terms of the
future conduct of his inquiry.

How many triadic relations are involved in this process of a young child
learning? Well, it appears to grow according to a power law. As such, it grows
into a multitude that exceeds any system of numbers that is numerable or even
any system that is abnumerable. The upshot of what I am suggesting is that
Peirce's observation that there may be a power law involved in richer relations
would explain his earlier assertions about the sort of infinity and resulting
continuity that is involved in the growth of our cognitions.

Yours,

Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor