Jon, list,

My previous message, like all of my posts, was formatted in HTML, so I think 
the formatting must have been lost at your end, Jon. I notice that your latest 
message also seems to be in plain text. You should check the settings of 
whatever software you use for email to make sure it properly displays 
HTML-formatted messages instead of converting them to plain text.

The Peircean distinction I have referred to in this thread is a conceptual one, 
not merely a verbal one, and Peirce expresses it in various ways. Essentially 
it is the distinction between (1) what can be conveyed by a sign (i.e. a 
symbol) and (2) what cannot be conveyed by the sign because the interpreter 
must already have it in mind in order for the sign to “tell about it.” I’m sure 
you are familiar with the distinction, as you have mentioned it yourself in 
previous posts to the list. In my statement of the distinction I used the word 
“acquaintance” for (2) because that is the term for it most often used by 
Peirce, and I chose “knowledge” for (1) because your claim is that knowledge of 
God is conveyed by the Universe as Sign. The fact that Peirce sometimes uses 
the more technical term “information” for (1), and sometimes used 
“acquaintance” in reference to a kind of knowledge, has no bearing on the 
validity of the distinction. You can find most (but not all) of the texts where 
Peirce makes the distinction by searching for the word “collateral”, but I see 
no need to copy them all here.

JAS: If "God" is indeed "the definable proper name," then might it not also be 
the exception to the rule that acquaintance with the Object of a Sign requires 
Collateral Experience/Observation? 

GF: Quite possibly; and that would explain why “knowledge of God” is indeed 
exceptional, and not at all like our knowledge of Peirce or any person who has 
existed. But that would not be what I call positive knowledge, in the usual 
Peircean sense of “positive,” the sense in which mathematics is not a positive 
science but logic and semiotics are positive sciences. As I mentioned earlier, 
I distinguish between knowing and believing, not on the basis of one being more 
“certain” than the other, but in the sense that knowledge is the goal of the 
positive sciences which practice inductive hypothesis-testing, while belief is 
defined pragmatically as a cognitive habit which guides actual conduct. The 
essential difference between science and religion, as I use those words, is 
that science aims at theoretical knowledge in the sense I’m using here, while 
religion aims at guiding the practical conduct of its believers. Looking at 
them this way, religion and science are not opposed but complementary. 
Scientists have a core belief that the universe is intelligible, which guides 
their practice of science; religious believers cannot actually conduct 
themselves in the real world or live up to their religious ideals without 
applying some factual knowledge which is not given by revelation. As Einstein 
put it, religion without science is blind, and science without religion is lame.

JAS: I guess we disagree on whether God has left such traces [in the observable 
Universe]; I see His "fingerprints" all over the Universe, and I also consider 
certain writings to be revelations from God Himself.  Perhaps this is where 
faith comes into play, another theological rather than philosophical issue.

GF: As I explained a few messages back, God being the Creator of the whole 
Universe means that it’s not honest to claim some aspects of the Universe (and 
not others) as reflecting the attributes of God. To believe that God is benign 
is indeed a matter of faith. The religion I subscribe to, which we call “the 
Bahá'í Faith”, likewise sees all created things as signs of a benign God, and 
considers certain scriptures to be specially “revealed” by God through 
individuals singled out to serve that purpose. So I can say that I believe 
these things, meaning that I accept Bahá'í teachings generally as guiding 
principles for my own conduct. But I do not claim to know these things — except 
in a Bahá'í context, where the verb “know” often means “have faith in”. (I have 
occasionally seen scriptures that use the word “Know” in the imperative, which 
would be nonsense in a non-religious context, because you can’t order someone 
(or will yourself) to have factual knowledge.) In every other context, 
including the Peirce list, I use the words “know” and “knowledge” only in 
reference to factual and fallible cognition. It is in this sense that I 
pronounce the Creator to be unknowable. By the way, I can also affirm the 
unknowability of God in a Bahá'í context, but not in the same sense, because 
Bahá'í belief is that He is unknowable “in His Essence”, which leaves a 
loophole for revelation. But I promised not to say anything about theology, and 
I hope this will suffice to illustrate my rather strict distinction between 
belief and knowledge — a distinction emphasized more by me than by Peirce.

GF:  No, I think we can acquire knowledge of nonexistent things such as real 
generals, if they are embodied or manifested in observable tokens of Types. But 
as far as I can tell, for both you and Peirce, God the Creator is the name of 
an individual, an agent or agency, a person with a proper name, and not a 
general.

JAS: On the contrary, Peirce explicitly stated that "whatever exists is 
individual, since existence (not reality) and individuality are essentially the 
same thing" (CP 3.613; 1901); and also that "a person is only a particular kind 
of general idea" (CP 6.270; 1892).  Accordingly, if God is a real person Who 
does not exist, then He is not an individual, but a real general.

GF: Here you are equivocating on the use of the term individual. I’m sure you 
are aware that for Peirce, an “individual” person is not an individual in the 
strict logical sense. You are also familiar with the difference between common 
nouns, which are names of generals, and proper nouns or names, which designate 
individuals such as persons. Since “God” is, as Peirce says, a proper name, God 
is an individual person — unless, as per your suggestion above, “God” is an 
exception to the usual grammatical rule. Normally a proper name refers to an 
Individual, as Peirce affirms in this passage that you yourself quoted:

CSP:  A proper name, when one meets with it for the first time, is 
existentially connected with some percept or other equivalent individual 
knowledge of the individual it names. It is then, and then only, a genuine 
Index. The next time one meets with it, one regards it as an Icon of that 
Index. The habitual acquaintance with it having been acquired, it becomes a 
Symbol whose Interpretant represents it as an Icon of an Index of the 
Individual named. (CP 2.329; 1903)

JAS: What was the "percept or other equivalent individual knowledge" that was 
"existentially connected" with Peirce's name in that initial encounter?

GF: When I first heard the proper name “Peirce”, I already had collateral 
experience of such names designating individuals who have written books, and of 
such names being mentioned by other writers in my experience of reading; also 
the experience of searching for replicas of that name in the reasonable 
expectation that I could find indices of something he had written, and thus 
eventually acquire a replica of such a text by means of which I also had 
collateral experience. Need I go on? or point out that none of this collateral 
experience applies to the proper name “God”? Having seen images of many of his 
manuscripts, I can honestly say that I recognize Peirce’s handwriting. I cannot 
honestly claim to recognize God’s handwriting; nor do I recognize the content 
of the Bible as written by anyone other than human beings. Authors can bear 
witness to the feeling of being inspired, I can even say that myself, but I 
have no experience of other authors being inspired, only of the testimony that 
they choose to express in that form.

Here again is the passage of which I highlighted parts in bold which did not 
come through to your screen. I hope you can see it this time.

[CSP:[ As to reality, one finds it defined in various ways; but if that 
principle of terminological ethics that was proposed be accepted, the equivocal 
language will soon disappear. For realis and realitas are not ancient words. 
They were invented to be terms of philosophy in the thirteenth century, and the 
meaning they were intended to express is perfectly clear. That is real which 
has such and such characters, whether anybody thinks it to have those 
characters or not. At any rate, that is the sense in which the pragmaticist 
uses the word. Now, just as conduct controlled by ethical reason tends toward 
fixing certain habits of conduct, the nature of which (as to illustrate the 
meaning, peaceable habits and not quarrelsome habits) does not depend upon any 
accidental circumstances, and in that sense may be said to be destined; so, 
thought, controlled by a rational experimental logic, tends to the fixation of 
certain opinions, equally destined, the nature of which will be the same in the 
end, however the perversity of thought of whole generations may cause the 
postponement of the ultimate fixation. If this be so, as every man of us 
virtually assumes that it is, in regard to each matter the truth of which he 
seriously discusses, then, according to the adopted definition of “real,” the 
state of things which will be believed in that ultimate opinion is real. But, 
for the most part, such opinions will be general. Consequently, some general 
objects are real. (Of course, nobody ever thought that all generals were real; 
but the scholastics used to assume that generals were real when they had hardly 
any, or quite no, experiential evidence to support their assumption; and their 
fault lay just there, and not in holding that generals could be real.) One is 
struck with the inexactitude of thought even of analysts of power, when they 
touch upon modes of being. One will meet, for example, the virtual assumption 
that what is relative to thought cannot be real. But why not, exactly? Red is 
relative to sight, but the fact that this or that is in that relation to vision 
that we call being red is not itself relative to sight; it is a real fact.  ] 
CP 5.430, EP 2:342-343 ]

GF: From the above it is clear what what Peirce calls a “serious discussion” 
must employ an experimental logic which relies on experiential evidence. Now, 
the psychophysical Universe as Sign can afford us neither acquaintance with the 
Creator nor experiential evidence that the Creator is really the subject of any 
particular predicate, for the simple reason that no such hypothesis is testable 
by observation.

Gary f.

 

 

From: Jon Alan Schmidt <[email protected]> 
Sent: 22-May-19 00:14
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Trinity, Continuity, and the Cosmotheandric, was, [PEIRCE-L] Re: 
Continuity of Semeiosis Revisited

 

Gary F., List:

 

GF:  I took this claim of yours to be based on a confusion of acquaintance with 
knowledge, overlooking Peirce’s frequent distinction between the two and his 
stipulation that acquaintance can only come from collateral experience, or 
collateral observation, and cannot be given by signs.

 

Let me quote again the passage with which you began this exchange, since I 
gather that you are taking it as a basis for positing a sharp distinction 
between acquaintance and knowledge.

 

CSP:  The Sign can only represent the Object and tell about it. It cannot 
furnish acquaintance with or recognition of that Object; for that is what is 
meant in this volume by the Object of a Sign; namely, that with which it 
presupposes an acquaintance in order to convey some further information 
concerning it. No doubt there will be readers who will say they cannot 
comprehend this. They think a Sign need not relate to anything otherwise known, 
and can make neither head nor tail of the statement that every Sign must relate 
to such an Object. But if there be anything that conveys information and yet 
has absolutely no relation nor reference to anything with which the person to 
whom it conveys the information has, when he comprehends that information, the 
slightest acquaintance, direct or indirect--and a very strange sort of 
information that would be--the vehicle of that sort of information is not, in 
this volume, called a Sign. (CP 2.231; 1910)

 

Two key words are missing here--"knowledge" and "collateral."  First, Peirce 
was contrasting acquaintance with information, rather than knowledge; in fact, 
I have not yet been able to find any passage where Peirce explicitly 
distinguished acquaintance and knowledge.  Since you called it his "frequent 
distinction," could you please provide some citations?  What are your (or his) 
definitions of acquaintance and knowledge in this context?  Second, Peirce did 
not explicitly equate acquaintance with what he elsewhere called Collateral 
Experience/Observation.  However, he did distinguish two different kinds of 
acquaintance--direct and indirect--without explaining what their differences 
might be.

 

I agree that acquaintance with the Object of a Sign comes from Collateral 
Experience/Observation, because (as you noted) that is precisely the 
requirement that Peirce specified elsewhere for identifying the Objects of a 
Proposition as denoted by the Semes that serve as its subjects.  What remains 
unclear to me is the warrant for thinking that such acquaintance cannot be 
given by Signs at all, implying that it must always be direct.  What do you 
suppose that Peirce meant by indirect acquaintance, if not acquaintance 
mediated entirely by previous Signs?  How else could he claim that "long study 
of the works of Aristotle may make him an acquaintance" (CP 6.502; c. 1906)?  
How else can you and I now be acquainted with Peirce, such that the man himself 
is the Object of that proper name when we utter or interpret Propositions about 
him?

 

There is also a specific kind of acquaintance that Peirce explicitly denied to 
be collateral at all--"acquaintance with the system of signs," because it is 
"the prerequisite for getting any idea signified by the sign" (CP 8.179, EP 
2:494; 1909).  If "God" is indeed "the definable proper name," then might it 
not also be the exception to the rule that acquaintance with the Object of a 
Sign requires Collateral Experience/Observation?  Just a thought.

 

GF:  Yes; we are not in the same situation re knowledge of God as we are re 
knowledge of existent beings (such as Peirce) who have left observable traces 
of their presence in the Universe.

 

I guess we disagree on whether God has left such traces; I see His 
"fingerprints" all over the Universe, and I also consider certain writings to 
be revelations from God Himself.  Perhaps this is where faith comes into play, 
another theological rather than philosophical issue.

 

GF:  No, I think we can acquire knowledge of nonexistent things such as real 
generals, if they are embodied or manifested in observable tokens of Types. But 
as far as I can tell, for both you and Peirce, God the Creator is the name of 
an individual, an agent or agency, a person with a proper name, and not a 
general.

 

On the contrary, Peirce explicitly stated that "whatever exists is individual, 
since existence (not reality) and individuality are essentially the same thing" 
(CP 3.613; 1901); and also that "a person is only a particular kind of general 
idea" (CP 6.270; 1892).  Accordingly, if God is a real person Who does not 
exist, then He is not an individual, but a real general.

 

GF:  As Peirce says, we need some index to direct our attention to a subject 
before we can assign attributes to it and thus have any knowledge of it.

 

Again, what was the index that first directed our attention to a man who lived 
and died before we were born, Charles Sanders Peirce, when we knew absolutely 
nothing at all about him?  Was it not a Sign, his proper name, at that point 
completely unfamiliar to us?  How did we subsequently acquire the extensive 
knowledge that we now have of him?  Was it not entirely mediated by other Signs?

 

CSP:  A proper name, when one meets with it for the first time, is 
existentially connected with some percept or other equivalent individual 
knowledge of the individual it names. It is then, and then only, a genuine 
Index. The next time one meets with it, one regards it as an Icon of that 
Index. The habitual acquaintance with it having been acquired, it becomes a 
Symbol whose Interpretant represents it as an Icon of an Index of the 
Individual named. (CP 2.329; 1903)

 

What was the "percept or other equivalent individual knowledge" that was 
"existentially connected" with Peirce's name in that initial encounter?  It 
seems that only one such occasion is sufficient to establish Collateral 
Experience/Observation with the Object of any proper name; and what did Peirce 
say about God in this respect?

 

CSP:  In considering personality, that philosophy [synechism] is forced to 
accept the doctrine of a personal God; but in considering communication, it 
cannot but admit that if there is a personal God, we must have a direct 
perception of that person and indeed be in personal communication with him. 
Now, if that be the case, the question arises how it is possible that the 
existence [sic] of this being should ever have been doubted by anybody. The 
only answer that I can at present make is that facts that stand before our face 
and eyes and stare us in the face are far from being, in all cases, the ones 
most easily discerned. That has been remarked from time immemorial. (CP 6.162; 
1892)

 

If someone has a "direct perception of" God and "personal communication with" 
Him, then that would seem to qualify as Collateral Experience/Observation once 
His proper name is existentially connected with those events; and Peirce also 
offered his best guess at why, nevertheless, not everyone believes that He is 
real.

 

GF:  Here we reach the point where I think your argument goes astray: your 
assertion that anything real must be knowable. To explain why I think so, I 
will quote the entire paragraph which is the context of the phrase you have 
quoted, highlighting in bold the parts that call your assertion into question.

 

Unfortunately, the bold was missing from what you actually posted, so I will 
hold off on further comment and ask you first to provide the quote with the 
formatting that you intended.

 

Regards,




Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA

Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt>  
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt> 

 

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 8:28 AM <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
> wrote:

Jon, I think we’re getting closer to the heart of the matter, which is (and
has been) the nature of knowledge. I think Jeff’s most recent post showing
the complexity of the object-sign relation also contributes greatly to this
discussion, but in this post I’ll just insert some answers to your
questions, along with some other comments, trying to further clarify the
issue.

Gary f.

From: Jon Alan Schmidt <[email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> > 
Sent: 20-May-19 12:09

JAS: Thank you for further clarifying your objection.  Initially it was
that God is completely separated from His creation, and thus absent from the
Universes of Experience.

GF: Yes, that was what you appeared to be claiming with your stipulation
that the Object must be external to the Sign which is the Universe. But you
amended that by saying that God is not completely separate from the
Universe, so then came the next step:

JAS:  When I disputed this, it was that our acquaintance with God must be
entirely mediated by Signs. 

GF: That was your counter-claim to my claim that acquaintance with an
Object is a prerequisite for knowledge of it, which is indeed mediated by
signs (i.e. propositions). I took this claim of yours to be based on a
confusion of acquaintance with knowledge, overlooking Peirce’s frequent
distinction between the two and his stipulation that acquaintance can only
come from collateral experience, or collateral observation, and cannot be
given by signs. As he put it, “the proper way in logic is to take as the
subject whatever there is of which sufficient knowledge cannot be conveyed
in the proposition itself, but collateral experience on the part of its
interpreter is requisite” (NEM 3:885, 1908). 

JAS: Since I pointed out that we are in the same situation with respect to
anyone who lived or anything that happened before we were born, you noted
that those people and events existed, but God did not and does not--as
Peirce himself explicitly affirmed, which is why he specifically argued for
the Reality of God instead.

GF: Yes; we are not in the same situation re knowledge of God as we are re
knowledge of existent beings (such as Peirce) who have left observable
traces of their presence in the Universe.

JAS: Please do not misinterpret this as an accusation of moving the
goalposts; I am simply explaining the progression of my own understanding of
your position during the course of our exchange so far.  Am I correct that
the non-existence of God is what you find problematic for our ability to
acquire knowledge of Him?  

GF: No, I think we can acquire knowledge of nonexistent things such as real
generals, if they are embodied or manifested in observable tokens of Types.
But as far as I can tell, for both you and Peirce, God the Creator is the
name of an individual, an agent or agency, a person with a proper name, and
not a general. I have said that this Person has not left observable traces
of His presence in the Universe, and you haven’t disputed that. As Peirce
says, we need some index to direct our attention to a subject before we can
assign attributes to it and thus have any knowledge of it. (Certainty is not
the issue here, as all positive knowledge is fallible, though quite distinct
from belief.)

If so, then one possible response from me would be to invoke the Christian
doctrine of the Incarnation; however, I will respect your preference not to
delve any further into theology at this point.  Instead, I will stick to
relevant Peircean concepts and texts.

GF: Thanks for that, and in return, I’ll spare you an account of how
Muslims and Bahá'ís get around the problem of knowing the unknowable. 😊

JAS: In thinking about all of this over the last couple of days, I noticed
the same thing that you did about the first sentence of "A Neglected
Argument" (CP 6.452, EP 2:434; 1908)--Peirce considered "God" to be "the
definable proper name" (emphasis in original), implying that it is the only
such case; and he then specified what it signifies, not what it denotes.  In
other words, the Immediate Interpretant of "God" (so capitalized) is "Ens
necessarium, in my [Peirce's] belief Really creator of all three Universes
of Experience"; and my current understanding of Speculative Grammar is that
the Immediate Object of "God" is whatever it possibly could denote in
English accordingly.

GF: OK. But notice that I am not questioning the reality of God the
Creator. I don’t take that to be a universally instinctive belief or
hypothesis as Peirce does, but I don’t question his honesty in declaring it
to be his belief. What I question is whether that belief has the
pragmaticistic meaning that he says it does, despite its object being
“infinitely incomprehensible.”

What you seem to be questioning is how we can know that "God" actually does
denote something as its Dynamic Object—

GF: No, I’m willing to assume that that proper name does denote something.
What I question is how we can know anything about that Entity defined as Ens
necessarium. (Of course a definition does not count as positive knowledge.)

i.e., how it can serve as a subject of a Proposition that we are able to
evaluate as either true or false, which would require previous Collateral
Experience or current Collateral Observation in order to be understood at
all.  According to Peirce, if God is Real then He has "Properties, i.e.
characters sufficing to identify their subject, and possessing these whether
they be anywise attributed to it by any single man or group of men, or not"
(CP 6.453, EP 2:434; 1908).  However, he already expressed dissatisfaction
with that particular formulation in his Logic Notebook the month before it
appeared in print.

CSP:  As to the Real, I have decided within the last few days that my
definition in The Hibbert Journal was not advisable, since it gives rise to
a multitude of perplexing problems of little or no meaning.  It is better to
say that that which truly possesses an attribute independently of the latter
being attributed to the former by any single finite mind or single group of
such minds is, in so far, Real, thus avoiding those insoluble & nonsensical
problems. (R 339:476[322r]; 1908 Sep 9)

It is thus possessing characters independently of them being attributed to
it, rather than the sufficiency of those characters to identify it, that
makes something Real.  In other words, whether or not we are able to
identify God by His attributes has no bearing on His Reality; only that He
possesses those attributes regardless of what anyone thinks about them.  

GF: Right! And how do we learn by experience whether a subject really has
an attribute independently of anyone attributing that character to that
subject? We formulate a hypothesis and then test it in some way that would
refute it if it were not true (or less conclusively, confirm it if it is
true). This testing requires some actual observation which is honest enough
not to fudge the data or prejudge the question. There’s the rub: in order to
know that the Creator is really benign (for instance), apart from your (or
anyone’s) belief that He is, you would have to test that hypothesis by
observing the unobservable. That is one of the paradoxes involved in the
claim that the Creator is even ideally knowable, which would have to be the
case if knowledge of the Creator is the very purpose of Creation.  

As I have noted previously, this is a verbal definition of Reality, at the
second grade of clarity; the pragmaticistic definition, at the third grade
of clarity, is "the state of things which [would] be believed in that
ultimate opinion" (CP 5.430, EP 2:342-343; 1905) after infinite inquiry by
an infinite community.

GF: Sorry, I don’t see that the differences between “grades of clarity”
have any bearing on the very possibility of knowledge. Here we reach the
point where I think your argument goes astray: your assertion that anything
real must be knowable. To explain why I think so, I will quote the entire
paragraph which is the context of the phrase you have quoted, highlighting
in bold the parts that call your assertion into question. (The italics are
Peirce’s.)

[CSP:[ As to reality, one finds it defined in various ways; but if that
principle of terminological ethics that was proposed be accepted, the
equivocal language will soon disappear. For realis and realitas are not
ancient words. They were invented to be terms of philosophy in the
thirteenth century, and the meaning they were intended to express is
perfectly clear. That is real which has such and such characters, whether
anybody thinks it to have those characters or not. At any rate, that is the
sense in which the pragmaticist uses the word. Now, just as conduct
controlled by ethical reason tends toward fixing certain habits of conduct,
the nature of which (as to illustrate the meaning, peaceable habits and not
quarrelsome habits) does not depend upon any accidental circumstances, and
in that sense may be said to be destined; so, thought, controlled by a
rational experimental logic, tends to the fixation of certain opinions,
equally destined, the nature of which will be the same in the end, however
the perversity of thought of whole generations may cause the postponement of
the ultimate fixation. If this be so, as every man of us virtually assumes
that it is, in regard to each matter the truth of which he seriously
discusses, then, according to the adopted definition of “real,” the state of
things which will be believed in that ultimate opinion is real. But, for the
most part, such opinions will be general. Consequently, some general objects
are real. (Of course, nobody ever thought that all generals were real; but
the scholastics used to assume that generals were real when they had hardly
any, or quite no, experiential evidence to support their assumption; and
their fault lay just there, and not in holding that generals could be real.)
One is struck with the inexactitude of thought even of analysts of power,
when they touch upon modes of being. One will meet, for example, the virtual
assumption that what is relative to thought cannot be real. But why not,
exactly? Red is relative to sight, but the fact that this or that is in that
relation to vision that we call being red is not itself relative to sight;
it is a real fact.  ] CP 5.430, EP 2:342-343 ]

GF: From the above it is clear what what Peirce calls a “serious
discussion” must employ an experimental logic which relies on experiential
evidence. Now, the psychophysical Universe as Sign can afford us neither
acquaintance with the Creator nor experiential evidence that the Creator is
really the subject of any particular predicate, for the simple reason that
no such hypothesis is testable by observation. For this reason I think what
you say next is wrong:

Consequently, if anything is Real--even it does not now, never has, and
never will exist--then it must be knowable; and presumably you will agree
that we do have knowledge of some non-existent Realities.  Again, how is
that possible?  And why would God be any different?  Are you perhaps
suggesting that entia rationis are the only non-existent Realities that are
knowable?

GF: That’s not what I had in mind, but it may be so — if such things as
processes are entia rationis. But that’s another question, quite apart from
the knowability of the Creator.

Regards,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to