Jon S, Gary R, List,

On my reading of the last lecture of RLT, I think it is an error to suggest
that he is making measurement intrinsic to the definition of those dimensions
of either time, space or quality. Rather, the thrust of the argument is to
start with mathematical conceptions and then use them for the sake of
developing hypotheses in metaphysical cosmology. In doing so, he moves from the
consideration of metrical geometries, to projective geometry to topology.

In doing so, he is setting metrical considerations to the side and focusing
primarily on topological matters. It is clear that the topological
points--including those about the possible dimensions of a such a malleable
space in which such things straigntness, length and degree of angle are not
preserved across transformations--are being used to clarify a mathematical
conception of continuity. He is then putting that refined notion of continuity
to use as he engages with questions about the origins and evolution of the
universe. The questions he is trying to answer include the following. How many
dimensions of time, space and quality where there early in the history of the
universe? How many dimensions of each are there now. How did the number of
dimensions change over time?

Jon quoted two passages in that last lecture:

CSP:  A continuum may have any discrete multitude of dimensions whatsoever. lf
the multitude of dimensions surpasses all discrete multitudes there cease to be
any distinct dimensions. I have not as yet obtained a logically distinct
conception of such a continuum. Provisionally, I identify it with the uralt
[Ger., ancient], vague generality of the most abstract potentiality. (NEM
3:111, RLT 253-254; 1898)

CSP:  Let the clean blackboard be a sort of diagram of the original vague
potentiality, or at any rate of some early stage of its determination. This is
something more than a figure of speech; for after all continuity is generality.
This blackboard is a continuum of two dimensions, while that which it stands
for is a continuum of some indefinite multitude of dimensions. This blackboard
is a continuum of possible points; while that is a continuum of possible
dimensions of quality, or is a continuum of possible dimensions of a continuum
of possible dimensions of quality, or something of that sort. There are no
points on this blackboard. There are no dimensions in that continuum. (CP
6.203, RLT 261; 1898)

Consider the following sentence from the second passage:  "This blackboard is a
continuum of possible points; while that is a continuum of possible dimensions
of quality, or is a continuum of possible dimensions of a continuum of possible
dimensions of quality, or something of that sort."

For the sake of engaging in inquiry in cosmological metaphysics, I would make a
distinction between the dimensions of real space at some point in the evolution
of the cosmos, and the dimensions of the qualities of the objects in space. As
far as I can tell, he is offering a hypothesis about the number of dimensions
of (1) time, (2) space and (3) of the various qualities that were present early
in the history of the cosmos. It looks to me like he is arguing that each
started with a dimensions that were vague in character and not distinctly
separated--one from another. Over time, as the cosmos evolved, those dimensions
became (a) more determinate and (b) fewer in number.

If we go back far enough, we arrive at a vague potentiality as a kind of
hypothetical "beginning of all things." This vague conception of potentiality
functions as a kind of starting point in the explanations being offered. My
assumption is that, in this vague potentiality, there might have been--for
instance--potential energy, but there was no kinetic energy. That potential
energy might have taken different qualities, such as a particular charge or a
particular spin, but there was no actual object having any determinate charge
or spin. There might have been a potential for space and time having
dimensions, but there were no actual things moving around in space and time.
How many dimensions did this potential have? An indefinite vague multitude. The
dimensions were continuous. There were uncountable, to say the least.

In saying that the dimensions of space, time and quality were potential and not
actual, I do not take him to be saying that the dimensions were not real.
Possibles may, on Peirce's account, be real things. I take this starting point,
which is explicated in terms of a conception of vague potentiality, as a kind
of limiting idea. One thing he is trying to accomplish in clarifying such a
limiting idea is to arrive at something that doesn't call out for further
explanation. If someone asks, why does the original vague potentiality have the
characteristics it does? His answer is:  that doesn't need a further
explanation. It can be illustrated using diagrams. He is offering analogy to
the effect that the vague potentiality is like an empty chalkboard before any
chalk streaks have been drawn on its surface. Some philosophers might claim
that Peirce is wrong to think the original vague potentiality doesn't need a
further explanation, but I take that to be the view he is exploring in this
last lecture.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor