BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;
}List - as I see it, this question was specifically asked by Robert
Marty of Jon Alan Schmidt -- a question asking about his specific
views on the Interpretants - and I think it has to be first, replied
to by Jon Alan Schmidt!

        I think it's a legitimate question - and all we can do is wait for
the reply by JAS to Robert.

        Edwina
 >> Jon Alan, List
 >> 
 >> I repeat this debate with you and it leads me to ask you a
 >> preliminary question that I should have asked you on September
22,
 >> 2018, but I probably did not have very clear ideas 18 months ago.
 >> Here it is: what you say this:
 >> 
 >> " The DESTINATE Interpretant is what the Sign is destined to
signify
 >> at the end of infinite inquiry by an infinite community; i.e.,
the
 >> Final Interpretant"?
 >> 
 >> Because this quote troubles me a little: " In that second part, I
 >> call "truth" the PREDESTINATE opinion,17 by which I ought to have
 >> meant that which would ultimately prevail if investigation were
 >> carried sufficiently far in that particular direction." (The
 >> Essential Peirce A Sketch of Logical Critics  p.457)
 >> 
 >> It seems to me in complete fact that if this were the case the
whole
 >> of humanity would be doomed to wait until the end of eternity to
 >> succeed in its first communication. Unless an immanent power
 >> deposits it in all minds at the moment of the perception of the
 >> sign? Should we read "predestinate"?
 >> 
 >> Because there's a perception, isn't there? You will not be able
to
 >> escape the chronology until the end of time: the signs that
actually
 >> occur in social life must be taken care of by the theory of
signs,
 >> shaped to be subjected to analysis, debated ... Etc... Otherwise
 >> what are we doing here?
 >> 
 >> Best regards,
 >> 
 >> Robert
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to