Jerry R., List,
To act means to get on with life. If commens means the sum at any time
of whatever everybody happens to come up with, we can each develop
whatever aims we want, at any time, as we go along.
From your wording here do you seem to be allowing for this.
I therefore don't quite get why you earlier remarked you didn't believe
what I took most of the others as edging towards (which I tried to
expand on - as far as I understood - in my response of a few minutes
ago).
Michael M., linguist, UK
On 2020-05-18 21:25, Jerry Rhee wrote:
Dear Cecile, list,
Why not?
I mean, isn’t belief supposedly _that_ upon which one is prepared to
act?
What, then, is _that_ belief?
Let us take our situation, then.
We have utterers and interpreters (and presumably a commens
somewhere).
And if we take Peirce at his word, then the only moral evil is not to
have an ultimate aim. So where is it? What is our ultimate aim?
From what I see, that aim is nebulous.
And since we are all Peirceans and we have continued to investigate
such things,
then it must be Peirce’s intention for us to argue over such things
until we come to an agreement. But that end comes at the end, not at
the beginning.
Best,
Jerry R
On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 3:04 PM Cécile Menieu-Cosculluela
<[email protected]> wrote:
Why not? I thought it did sound very interesting indeed...
-------------------------
DE: "Jerry Rhee" <[email protected]>
À: "Helmut Raulien" <[email protected]>
CC: "Gary Fuhrman" <[email protected]>, "peirce-l"
<[email protected]>
ENVOYÉ: Lundi 18 Mai 2020 21:18:19
OBJET: Re: RE: [PEIRCE-L] To put an end to the false debate on the
classification of signs
Dear Helmut, list,
What an interesting observation.
_meh_.. I don’t believe it.
With best wishes,
Jerry R
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .