Helmut, List

If I can tell Helmut there are no two concepts. A sign is always a real
thing that represents because to be sign it must be perceived ... Why
wouldn't a sign as a representation" be a real thing? Let's look at the
statue that is at the entrance to New York Harbor ... Isn't that an
existing thing so a real thing? And yet when you perceive it your mind is
occupied by the idea of Liberty (and more but we will leave it at that).
Why would you do that? As a result of your collateral experience that is
earlier and external at the time of perception. It has led you to
internalize a convention shared by billions of individuals that is a
reality in the shared social space, independent of these billions of minds,
what I think Peirce calls the commens. I have already made arguments for
that and I will give more. However, the experience of my debates has taught
me at least one thing is that one cannot make an assertion involving Peirce
without a few quotations. I will quote just three that support my point, it
seems to me, but it is up to you to judge.

Let's go to CP 3.359:

*CP 3.359"**A sign is in a conjoint relation to the thing denoted and to
the mind. If this triple relation is not of a degenerate species, the sign
is related to its object only in consequence of a mental association, and
depends upon a habit. Such signs are always abstract and general, because
habits are general rules to which the organism has become subjected. They
are, for the most part, conventional or arbitrary. They include all general
words, the main body of speech, and any mode of conveying a judgment. For
the sake of brevity I will call them tokens."*

What is  described here is the sign as representation that concerns you.

So a sign, a  thing conceived by convention (what does convention mean?) or
even arbitrarily can represent an idea. We need the commens here to
"contain" all these conventions and therefore it cannot depend on the only
minds that communicate; it is  out of minds. We discover it when we are
born and then internalize it throughout our lives. That was the substance
of my direct debate with Jon Alan and perhaps indirect with a few others.

We continue:

*CP 3.361  But if the triple relation between the sign, its object, and the
mind, is degenerate, then of the three pairs sign object sign mind object
mind two at least are in dual relations which constitute the triple
relation. One of the connected pairs must consist of the sign and its
object, for if the sign were not related to its object except by the mind
thinking of them separately, it would not fulfill the function of a sign at
all. Supposing, then, the relation of the sign to its object does not lie
in a mental association, there must be a direct dual relation of the sign
to its object independent of the mind using the sign. In the second of the
three cases just spoken of, this dual relation is not degenerate, and the
sign signifies its object solely by virtue of being really connected with
it. Of this nature are all natural signs and physical symptoms. I call such
a sign an index, a pointing finger being the type of the class.*

What is described here is " sign-as-event, which would be a real thing"
that you also care about."

Are you afraid of some dualism? No, because there's another case.

*CP 362. The third case is where the dual relation between the sign and its
object is degenerate and consists in a mere resemblance between them. I
call a sign which stands for something merely because it resembles it, an
icon. *

In this case it is a quality of "the concrete thing that represents" that
makes the sign; as a red thing to represent the quality of being red, or
the blood of a person represented by a trace or the communism on the flag
of China.

If you continue reading you will find some very interesting things about
algebraic notations...

Best regards,

Robert