List

Here again the maybe most frequently used quote about "phaneron", from the Commens Dictionary:
"
1905 | Adirondack Summer School Lectures | CP 1.284

Phaneroscopy is the description of the phaneron; and by the phaneron I mean the collective total of all that is in any way or in any sense present to the mind, quite regardless of whether it corresponds to any real thing or not. If you ask present when, and to whose mind, I reply that I leave these questions unanswered, never having entertained a doubt that those features of the phaneron that I have found in my mind are present at all times and to all minds. So far as I have developed this science of phaneroscopy, it is occupied with the formal elements of the phaneron.

"

Due to this quote I was wondering, why Peirce in other places speaks of multiple "phanerons", or of "a phaneron". To me there are two possible explanations:

1. "Never having entertained a doubt" is two weak negations, that make a merely weak definition, i.e. a possibility. So he did not exclude the other possibility, that there may be distinct phanerons.

2. The phaneron is spatially total, but temporally separable, though, due to the continuity-claim, blurredly separable.

I like number 1 better.

Another question by me is, that "quite regardless of whether it corresponds to any real thing or not" does not exclude the possibility, that it does correspond to a real thing, i.e. include a dynamic object, i.e. be semiotic. Claiming regardlessness to me sounds rather like a scientific method to better focus on the phaneron alone, than like a completely distinct science. But I dont know the exact definition of "science", so ok, I guess, phaneroscopy may be called a science. Setting closer borders of "regard" helps to not miss something.

Did I get everything ok?

Best

Helmut

 19. Juni 2021 um 11:33 Uhr
 "Auke van Breemen" <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
wrote:

John,

Good points. You might be interested in Ramchandran and Hirstein's : Three laws of Qualia.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233684568_Three_laws_of_qualia_What_neurology_tells_us_about_the_biological_functions_of_consciousness

Auke