Edwina, Helmut, Jon A, List,
The term 'weasel word' for emergence
has negative connotations.  I wouldn't suggest the negativity, but I admit
that it hides a wide range of interpretants that deserve to be analyzed in
more detail.
I agree that the early stages of interpretation are so
rapid (fractions of a second) that detailed logical deduction is not
possible.  However, the initial steps of classifying a sensation (by the
categories) and detecting various elements (relations and hypoicons) could
be done in milliseconds.
The more complex processing by the
normative sciences would require more time (seconds).