Gary f. , list

De Tienne slide 23  starts with: "BECAUSE mathematics, in principle, is not concerned with anything but itself. The world could stop existing, but to pure mathematicians that would at most be an inconvenience."

This is clearly a blunder since if the world stopped existing, there would no more exist mathematicians at all, neither pure nor applied.

It is repeated in slide 24 that you published today: "The significance and truth-value of such constructs [those of mathematicians] depends only on their *internal* inferential coherence, *not on the world of experience*."

Writing such a definitive judgment is just ignoring the every day work of mathematicians who pass their time in diverses *experiments* with forms, abstracts figures, models, constructs, etc., not to speak of the value of their underlying hypotheses.

The slide 23 blunder that you minimize as "a choice of language" is certainly a good rhetorical trick to get the laughs on one's side. But this is not a valid scientific argument. And since it will be repeated in the following slide, it has an intended purpose: to show that pure mathematics are internally coherent wild dreams cut off the world.

In fact I think that the human ancestors of mathematics were those prehistoric people who managed to figure out on the walls of their caves the drawings of savage animals.

I wish that at the end of this slow reading you will undertake the phaneroscopic observations of mathematicians at work, without any prejudice as Peirce suggested it.

Bernard Morand