Getting back to the substantive issue raised in my previous post …

In his third Lowell Lecture (1903), Peirce says that the Firstness of Firstness
can be called “qualitative possibility.” But earlier in the same lecture, he
says this:

CSP: That wherein all such qualities agree is universal Firstness, the very
being of Firstness. The word possibility fits it, except that possibility
implies a relation to what exists, while universal Firstness is the mode of
being of itself. That is why a new word was required for it. Otherwise,
“possibility” would have answered the purpose.

GF: In this context, Peirce acknowledges that in ordinary English usage,
“possibility implies a relation to what exists.” Since existence involves
Secondness, that renders the word “possibility” unfit for rendering the concept
named “Firstness.” In order to consistently use “qualitative possibility” in
reference to Firstness, it is necessary to explicitly set aside the ordinary
implication which connects the word to Secondness. This is what Peirce does in
the bolded words quoted from EP2:479:

CSP: One of these [three] Universes embraces whatever has its Being in itself
alone, except that whatever is in this Universe must be present to one
consciousness, or be capable of being so present in its entire Being. It
follows that a member of this universe need not be subject to any law, not even
to the principle of contradiction. I denominate the objects of this Universe
Ideas, or Possibles, although the latter designation does not imply capability
of actualization.

GF: The quote is continued below by Robert (who omitted the first two sentences
given above).

Peirce invokes the principle of contradiction and the logic of vagueness in
order to show that in the language of exact logic (as opposed to ordinary
English usage), “possibility” does not imply capability of actualization. This
effectively cancels, in the logical context, the objection which prevented him
(in the Lowell Lecture) from using “possibility” as another name for
“Firstness,” justifies Peirce’s use of “qualitative possibility” in reference
to Firstness, and gives us De Tienne (and the rest of us) license to use
“possibility” in that way.

I think De Tienne’s virtual identification of positivity with actuality and
Secondness is more problematic, though. Peirce’s statement in a 1904 letter to
Welby that “Firstness is the mode of being of that which is such as it is,
positively and without reference to anything else” (CP 8.328) suggests that
Firstness has its own kind of positivity, just as it has its own kind of
reality. But I haven’t found any firm evidence for this in Peirce’s text, so I
don’t intend to argue the point.

Gary f.