 From: "Jon Awbrey" <jawb...@att.net>
Sent: Friday, September 3, 2021 12:01 PM
To: g...@gnusystems.ca, peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] André De Tienne: Slow Read Slide 39

Yes, yes, the tao that is signed is not the true tao ...
I have the fondest nostalgia for my Be Here Now days
when we all cleansed the Doors Of Our Perceptions at
every available opportunity and strove to attain the
Purity Of Thoughtlessness. And yes, a bit or prebit
of meditation now and again makes for a healthy mind.
But been there then, did that when, and I know where
it ends - the science unsigned is not a true science.

Regards,

Jon

On 9/3/2021 10:11 AM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
> Continuing our slow read on phaneroscopy, here is the next slide of André De
> Tienne's slideshow posted on the Peirce Edition Project (iupui.edu)
> <https://peirce.iupui.edu/publications.html#presentations> site. It is mostly
> a gloss on the term Prebit introduced by Peirce late in 1909 (previous slide).
>
> Gary f.
>

> Text:
>
> . Prebit comes from praebitum < praebere in Latin, which is a contraction of
> praehabere (and of course habere gives habitum, whence "habit").
>
> . Praebere means to give, grant, fumish, supply; to occasion, exhibit. A
> praebitum or prebit is something like the datum, a term Peirce mentioned but
> did not want to use because it was already too loaded with undesired meanings.
>
> . He thought prebit was superior to phaneron (in the particular sense)
> because he came to realize that there were certain elements of experience
> that could not be said to be manifest in any legitimate way (such as certain
> mathematical entities) even though they were part and parcel of what
> experience supplied.
>
> . Once could also reason that prebit is a pre-habitum: the datum one has not
> become used to yet, before it has turned into, or been submitted to, a
> filtering habit.
>
> IMPORTANTLY: The Prebit is NOT A SIGN!
>
> The Phaneron is NOT A SIGN!
>
> Yet, . Signs are phaneral!

? PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP; moderated by Gary Richmond; and