}JAS, list

        1] I don't agree with you that Peirce rejects the concept that
prayer is a psychological action. Your statement that it is a
'universal human instinct' - is psychological.

        2] Our species' natural instinct' is the capacity to reason, to
develop 'logical outlines/patterns/diagrams' of the world. This
capacity is found in all of life - from protoplasm to bees to man.
..which is why it is "in accordance with natures".

        With regard to mankind - This capacity to reason is NOT a
knowledge-base but the capacity-to-develop-a knowledge base. Insects
don't have this capacity; they have the capacity to 'reason' and
interact but their knowledge base is heavily 'fixed' and innate. They
can't develop a new method of interacting with the world.  Man's
knowledge base is not innate but is developed by the population over
time and stored in our social memories. The advantage of this method
of developing knowledge, of course, is its flexibility. Mankind can
change his knowledge and move from gathering seeds to planting fruit
trees.

        3] And I repeat - Peirce's cosmological outlines don't refer to god.
Instead, his outlines show us that the universe is self-organized as a
process of Mind-Matter in hylomorphic correlation.

        I think, as I've said before, that it is important to separate the
analysis of Mind/God [whatever the term one uses to examine the
ordering processes of our universe] from the analysis of Religion
within human populations. They are, in my view, not the same and to
merge the two can have disastrous societal and political results.

        Edwina
 On Thu 09/09/21 11:29 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 ET: Prayer is, in my view, a psychological form of behaviour - among
ALL human populations.
 Okay, but clearly this is not Peirce's view. Again, he states
plainly that prayer is a universal human instinct by which the soul
expresses consciousness of its relation to God.
  ET: That is - since our knowledge base is not innate but learned,
then, homo sapiens must function as a collective.
 On the contrary, according to Peirce, some of our "knowledge base"
is instinctive rather than learned. After all, "unless man have a
natural bent in accordance with nature's, he has no chance of
understanding nature, at all" (CP 6.477, EP 2:444, 1908)
 ET: As a side note, to my awareness, Peirce's cosmology doesn't
refer to 'god', [ie, compare with Aquinas' and Aristotle's unmoved
Mover, First Cause, etc].
 Only if one blatantly begs the question by insisting that "A
Neglected Argument for the Reality of God" is somehow not an
exposition of Peirce's cosmology. I obviously think that it is, given
that I wrote a paper entitled "A Neglected Additament: Peirce on
Logic, Cosmology, and the Reality of God" (
https://tidsskrift.dk/signs/article/view/103187 [1]).
 Regards,
 Jon S.