Dear John, List

On your proposal to change the terminology for Categories :

 First, I agree with you about the drawbacks of the terminology currently
in use. However, it is so old and the alternative proposals so numerous
that it would be opening a Pandora's box. For example, I note the following
names, only in 1905, in the Logic Notebook
https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:15255301$1i :

seq 454: Primity, Primality; Secundity, Secundality; (see also CP 1.533:
primity, secundity, tertianity)

seq 457: Tertiality, Primany Secundany Tertiany ;

seq 461: Monadont, Monadousy

seq 463: Dyadont, Dyadousy, Secundality (dated 1905, June 2)

seq 465: Triadont, Triadousy, Tertiality (dated 1905, July 52)

seq 511: Primanity, Secundanity, Tertianity (dated 1905, December 20)

seq 513: Dyadont, Secundanity (dated 1905, december 21)

In this LNB, Peirce anticipates a practice common today among researchers,
that of the "personal research journal," a record of everything they are
thinking about their research or what they think at the time of their
research.

Don't forget: Originality, Obsistence and Transuasion (CP 2.89)

Personally, in answer to your question, I think it would be very
interesting to retain Primanity, Secundanity, and Tertianity as category
names ("comprehensions" or "denotations"), because they would be perfectly
consistent with Priman, Secundan, and Tertian as the names of the elements
belonging respectively to each of these categories ("extensions"). This
would avoid Firsnesses, Secondnesses, and Thirdnesses, not to mention the
confusion caused by using ordinals First, Second, and Third, as pointed out
by Edwina and myself.

 This would lead to "Primanité , Secondité et Tertianité" in French and
"Primanidad, Secundidad et Tertianidad" in Spanish, with the advantage of
having in each of the three languages "Priman, Secundan, et Tertian" to
designate the elements.

I don't see how such a change could happen. For a long time, Firstness and
Primarity (or Primanity), Secondness and Secondarity (or Secundanity),
Thirdness and Tertiarity (or Tertianity) would have to be allowed to
coexist in the hope that the new terms would take hold. I can't imagine
that any authority would be set up today to standardize vocabulary.

 Robert
Honorary Professor ; PhD Mathematics ; PhD Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*