or citations to Peirce L, and ask for opinions about them.

From: "Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca>

Cecile

Understandinig the Sign as a triadic relation, made up of three
correlates/relations of Object-Representamen-Interpretant, you will find a good
outline of Peirce’s analysis of this triad in 1.345-347.

As he says “genuine triadic relations can never be built of dyadic relations
and of qualities is easily shown…and gives as an example a “node connecting
three lines of identity” - with the image of a ‘Y’. 1.346.

And iin 1.347 - he shows how this Y graph enables networking . That’s a key
factor in semiosis- that capacity to interact and enable new meanings/ new
Signs.

Also - in 4.307-310, he also focuses on the generative capacity of the triad,
with that ‘Y’ form, and shows how “so prolific is the triad in forms that one
may conceive of all the variety and multiplicity of the universe springs from
it”

The point, again, of the Y-triad graph of the Sign, understood as a form of
three correlates/relations, is that it is not closed, but open to interaction
with other triadic Signs.  As Peirce also writes, “the most fundamental fact
about the number three is its generative potency” 4.309.

And its generative potency can only be be realized if those three relations are
open to interaction with other triads….which is why the oft-shown graph of the
Sign as a closed triangle - is so incorrect.

Edwina

Dear Peirce-Listers,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently researching graphical
representations of the sign in Peirce's texts. If you know of any in his papers
and can guide me to their location, I would greatly appreciate it. Ideally, a
link to a manuscript page with a diagram of the sign drawn by Peirce would be
most helpful.

Thank you for your consideration and have a great day!

Best regards,

Cécile