Cécile, List:

CC: And the sign is a triadic relation. ... Nevertheless, since the sign is
a triadic relation, it is acceptable to represent the sign with the symbol
 "Y" (preferably with three branches equally spaced).

No, again, the sign is *not *a triadic relation--it is the first
(simplest) *correlate
*of the triadic relation of representing or (more generally) mediating,
whose other two correlates are the sign's object and interpretant. As
Winfred Noeth correctly summarizes in a 2011 paper (
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254965612_From_Representation_to_Thirdness_and_Representamen_to_Medium_Evolution_of_Peircean_Key_Terms_and_Topics),
"Peirce did consider the sign to be a triadic relation, but only in 1868.
However, from 1873 onwards, sign, representamen, or representation were
synonymously used as the names referring to the first correlate of the
triadic relation of semiosis" (p. 455).

This relation can be represented in Existential Graphs by placing the name
"representing" or "mediating" where CP 1.347 shows an individual lowercase
letter, with three lines of identity attached to it--one with the name
"sign" at the other end, one with the name "object" at the other end, and
one with the name "interpretant" at the other end. Equal spacing of the
branches is not essential, there just needs to be some convention for where
the names of the first/second/third correlates are shown around the
perimeter of the name of the relation itself. Hence, these two examples are
equivalent.

[image: image.png]

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt