Edwina, Jon, John, & fellow Listers,

Thank you for your much appreciated clarifications. It is clear that the
oft-shown graph of the sign as a triangle is not appropriate because it
represents three dyadic relations, not one triadic one. And the sign is a
triadic relation. Peirce used the "Y" symbol" to represent the triad (in CP
1.346 for instance), but he did not explicitly use the "Y" symbol" to represent
the sign. (That's what I mean by the phrase "a diagram of the sign". I don't
mean a diagram of Peirce's method of defining a sign, or examples of actual
instances of marks, tokens, and types. I simply mean a representation / symbol
of the triadic concept of sign.) There are actually no graphical
representations of the sign in Peirce's texts. Nevertheless, since the sign is
a triadic relation , it is acceptable to represent the sign with the symbol "Y"
(preferably with three branches equally spaced). Would you agree that this sums
up the general consensus among Peircean scholars on the question of the
graphical representation of the sign by Peirce?

Thanks for continuing the semiosis of enquiry ...

Warm regards,

Cécile

Cécile Cosculluela
MC anglais UPPA ∗ SSH ∗ LEA
Maître de Conférences en Etudes Anglophones
Associate Professor of English as a Second Language
Semiotics • Linguistics • Grammar • Translation