There is no such thing as a unique interpretant for any sign-mark.

From: "Helmut Raulien" <h.raul...@gmx.de>

Jon, Cecile, List,

Jon, in your first paragraph you wrote about inference. I agree. Therefore I
find it a bit problematic to say, that the sign determines the interpretant,
because the sign doesn´t infere, it is the interpreter, who does the inference.
But ok, I guess we might say, that Peirce prescinds the semiosis from the
interpreter, so, ok, the flow of determination goes from the sign to the
interpretant, because it is the interpreter, who receives the sign, and then
forms the interpretant, and, if you donot mention the interpreter, well, then
you just skip her/him/it. But I think, that this skipping is only justified, if
the interpretant is true, because then it (the interpretant) is a subset of the
final interpretant, and not a misinterpretation. But: Can we take that for
granted?

Talking about precission: The sign anyway is prescinded from the, in reality
not reducible, sign triad. If we say, that something prescinded determines
something else, this determination too is prescinded. Prescission might be seen
as an error, so this is error propagation. That, i guess, is the reason, why
this whole determination affair is somehow confusing. It surely is, if we take
"determination" too literally, I mean, if we take it too muchly for real. Do
you agree? You see, I have been trying very hard to not contradict Peirce.

Best, Helmut