Cécile, Edwina, Jon, List,

James Liszka made an important observation about Peirce's classification of
signs:  “the theory is more complex than the phenomenon it hopes to explain."
Since Peirce himself was constantly rewriting and revising  the details, we
can't be sure what he would have written if he had a few more years to write.
And we have no right to claim that anything we (or anybody else) would write is
what Peirce would approve.

Peirce's correspondence with Lady Welby is an important key to almost
everything he wrote after 1903.  Up to 1903, his writings about phenomenology
followed abstract issues in a style influenced by Kant -- even on issues where
he differed from or went beyond Kant.  But after he read Welby's book on
significs and began his correspondence with her, his writings on phaneroscopy
are very different from anything he had written about phenomenology.   They are
more concrete and address issues they are both discussing in their letters.

Please reread the excerpts from letters to Lady Welby in EP2, pp 477 ff.  Note
how tentative and uncertain he is about those issues.  On p. 483, "The ten
divisions appear to me to be all Trichotomies; but it is possible that some of
them are not properly so. Of these Ten Trichotomies, I have a clear
apprehension of some (which I mark...), and unsatisfactory and doubtful notion
of others (which I mark ...), and a tolerable but not thoroughly tried
conception of others (which I mark ... for ...), almost clear, for ... hardly
better."   (The Greek letters do not copy properly.)

On p. 488, he writes as if he is not sure of himself:  "From the summer of 1905
to the same time in 1906,1 devoted much study to my ten trichotomies of signs.
It is time I reverted to the subject, as I know I could now make it much
clearer. But I dare say some of my former names are better than those I now
use....

If Peirce is unsure of how to proceed, we cannot assume that we know better
than he did.   Any attempt to say anything beyond what Peirce wrote is an
opinion of the person who does the writing.  It may be better, it may be worse.
 But all we can say is that it is not what Peirce wrote.   Nobody can claim
that their opinion is what Peirce intended.

On p. 490, he admits "I don't know whether these trichotomies will suggest
anything to you or not.  No doubt you [Welby] have studied relations to
Interpretants in some directions much further than I.[...]

In summary, anything not written by Peirce himself is the opinion of the person
who writes it.    Nobody can claim that their summary, paraphrase, or extension
is anything that Peirce intended.    And even writings that Peirce intended on
one occasion may be something he later rejected or restated in a different way.

Fundamental principle:  Any comment about anything Peirce wrote, is a personal
opinion of the author.  Other people may have good reasons for disagreeing --
or not.  That's why we need open-ended discussions, especially about topics
that Peirce himself was not clear about.

However, there are some subjects -- in mathematics and mathematical logic and
in experimental sciences -- where developments during the past century have
gone far beyond Peirce.   But even in those areas, Peirce has important points
to add, and experts in those fields often agree that Peirce was right.