List, John, Edwina, Jon,

How differently some other distinguished scholars see this matter of the
'usefulness' of Peirce's semeiotic project than John Sowa appears to.
Consider this passage near the conclusion of a paper by Nathan Houser in  a
festschrift for Lucia Santaella published just last year, a passage near
the end which would seem to contradict even John's conclusion regarding Tom
Short's take on especially Peirce's late taxonomy of signs. I've subdivided
the long paragraph in the interest of readability on the List and in order
to emphasize certain salient points. Houser writes (emphasis added by me):

*Conclusion (and Call to Carry On)*

After devoting a great deal of care to Peirce’s later efforts to unravel
the puzzle of semiosis and to produce an extended classification of the
fundamental varieties of possible signs, *T. L. Short concluded that
Peirce’s later taxonomy “is sketchy, tentative, and, as best I can make
out, incoherent” (Short 2007, p. 260). But he *[GR, Short] *quickly went on
to point out that it is not the inconclusiveness of Peirce’s own findings
but “the kind of project” he had conceived and was pursuing that is
important.* This reflects Peirce’s candid assessment that the semiotic
project he had launched was a great undertaking, far too large for a lone
inquirer, and that *he must commend it to “future explorers”* (Peirce 1907,
EP 2: 413, 482).

In looking back over his own explorations with signs, from his “New List”
to his Lowell Lectures of 1903 and the many relevant pages in his Logic
Notebook and late correspondence, Peirce likely would not have assessed the
record of his explorations, even the rapid-fire tries and retries in his
Logic Notebook, to be “incoherent,” but he might have been forced to admit
that it was all “a very snarl of twine,” as he had described himself in
contrast to his life-long friend, William James (CP 6.184). But *Peirce’s
confidence that he had opened the way to a key new science never waned. As
Max Fisch pointed out, during the final six years of Peirce’s life he was
engaged on a system of logic considered as semiotic which he hoped would
“stand for realism in the twentieth century *as Mill’s System of Logic had
stood for nominalism in the nineteenth” (Fisch 1986, p. 196). Considering
the questions [. . .] that remain open, due to the snarl of ideas they
invoke or to continuing disagreements among semioticians, it is apparent
that *Peirce’s semiotic project is a work in progress, but it is also
apparent that it has attracted capable “explorers” who are carrying the
work forward. *

It is important to bear in mind that *the issues Peirce left unresolved and
the questions he left unanswered are not evidence of the failure of his
project but of its potential for new revelations and understandings. This
is not a project to only discover what Peirce meant by the signs he left us
but to engage with the dynamic objects that were leading him on his
laborious investigation of semiotic analysis *and discovery toward the
final interpretants that still await us (and which, we must admit, may
never be fully achieved, though that is all to the good because it keeps
inquiry alive and relevant to the times). *We are engaged in an ongoing
collaborative project which has been bequeathed to those of us who have
joined or will join the cause.* [. . .]

“Peirce’s Ongoing Semiotic Project.” In *Tempo da colheita: homenagem à
Lucia Santaella* [Harvest time: Festschrift for Lucia Santaella]. Eds.
Priscila Monteiro Borges & Juliana de Oliveira Rocha Franco. São Paulo:
Filoczar, 2023: 27–52.

John also wrote in an earlier post, first quoting Peirce:

[CSP] "The Normal Interpretant is the Genuine Interpretant, embracing all
that the sign could reveal concerning the Object to a sufficiently
penetrating mind..."

JFS]: That is too vague for guiding research on the many issues that Peirce
discussed in the many MSS where he mentioned the word *interpretant*.  And
it can only be used by "sufficiently penetrating minds".

But I do not see how this entails coming to the conclusion that *no
one* possesses
"a sufficiently penetrating mind [to derive] a coherent theory of
interpretants" such that any attempt to do so is a waste of time and
effort. That Peirce was unable to finish fully spelling out "a coherent
theory of interpretants" shouldn't keep us, his successors, from picking up
where he left off. As Peirce wrote: "One generation collects premisses in
order that a distant generation may discover what they mean" (CP 7.87,
1902). Although I have little doubt that John would disagree, I would point
to Jon Schmidt's paper, "Peirce's evolving interpretants," as at least the
beginning of an outline for "a coherent theory of interpretants" which, in
his characteristic way, Jon supports with  exact quotations from Peirce.
See: Peirce’s evolving interpretants <https://philpapers.org/rec/SCHPEI-12>
, *Semiotica* 2022 (246): 211-223. 2022.
https://philarchive.org/archive/SCHPEI-12v1

Moreover, I am certain that I am not alone in seeing the very existence of
semeiotics today as arguing against John's dismissal of Peirce's writings
about interpretants as "so vague that nobody has been able to use them to
do or say anything useful." John seems to be basically advocating ignoring
anything that Peirce wrote unless it is somehow relevant to "the latest
developments in cognitive science." Doing so suggests that he is employing
the methods of tenacity and authority rather than the method of science.

Best,

Gary Richmond