Gary R, Robert M, Jon AS, Edwina, List,

Thanks, Gary, for explaining our points of agreement.  As you emphasize in bold
face, we all agree with Nathan Houser and with Short that Peirce’s later
taxonomy “is sketchy, tentative, and, as best I can make out, incoherent”
(Short 2007, p. 260). But he [GR, Short] quickly went on to point out that it
is not the inconclusiveness of Peirce’s own findings but “the kind of project”
he had conceived and was pursuing that is important.

I also emphasize our agreement with Max Fisch, who pointed out, during the
final six years of Peirce’s life he was engaged on a system of logic considered
as semiotic which he hoped would “stand for realism in the twentieth century.
I also agree with the other sentences you emphasized in bold.

Since I have finished the article on phaneroscopy, I am now writing the article
on Delta Graphs.  That is an example where Peirce was on solid ground with his
deep understanding of logic and mathematics.   Next week, I'll send the
abstract and preview of the new article, which shows how Peirce anticipated a
version of logic that was developed in the 21st century (2006 to be exact).

Since I also agree with Robert Marty's emphasis on Peirce's mathematical
background, I include his note below.  The emphasis on mathematics is
essential.  It explains Peirce's successes and the areas where he was less
successful, such as  the points that Short said were sketchy, tentative, and
even incoherent.

I agree that the questions about interpretants are important, but the answers
depend on issues of cognitive science that are so complex that our best known
mathematical methods are inadequate.  This is still an open research area, and
the most we can say is that the problems Peirce attempted to solve are still
unsolved.

From: "robert marty" <robert.mart...@gmail.com>

List,
I agree with JAS on the architectonic character of the classification of the
sciences. I want to complement what he says further and be even more precise
about Peirce's deeper thinking. Indeed, JAS is perfectly suitable to note that
applying the principle of classification (which Peirce borrows from Auguste
Comte, revisiting it as JAS mentioned) leads to placing the Special Sciences in
a position to receive their principles from semiotics. But strictly speaking,
applying the principle from the first trichotomy of the Sciences of Discovery
(CP 1.180) must lead to the more general conclusion that semiotics itself
receives its principles from Mathematics and Philosophy (or Cenoscopy). More
precisely, as we progress through the successive trichotomies, we see that
semiotics receives its principles from a chain of dependencies that necessarily
begins with Mathematics and continues with Phenomenology, Aesthetics, Ethics,
and Logic (the science of the general laws of signs), which then trichotomizes
into Speculative Grammar, Critic and Methodeutic, before providing its
principles to Metaphysics.
Peirce is very precise on this point and on what needs to happen in the minds
of the scientists concerned:
I set out from Comte's well-known scheme (or schemes). It seemed to me that
this embodied a most striking truth about the relations of sciences, along with
some glowing falsities. That truth I conceived, and still conceive, to be that
the results of one science, A, will often be applied by another science, B, as
principles or tools wherewith to solve its problems (not of course, without
research of its own), while science, B, will perhaps suggest problems to
science, A, but will not furnish it with any great aid in solving its problems.
I thought I ought to use this principle of Comte's for all it was worth,
without allowing it to run away with me. For what I wish to produce is a scheme
which shall exhibit, as far as possible, the most real affinities of the
different branches of science as these sciences exist in the minds of those who
are now actively pursuing them, or better, as these men are coming to regard
these affinities. (MS 1339: p.4-5)

Peirce situates this schema in the Well of Truth, a metaphor that deserves our
attention, for it is in this Well that the Sciences of Discovery, and hence
scientific knowledge, will be built:
[ …] Auguste Comte wrote that the sciences form a sort of ladder descending
into the Well of truth, each one leading on to another, those which are more
concrete and special drawing their principles from those which are more
abstract and general. (CP 2.119)
Every systematic philosopher must provide himself a classification of the
sciences. Comte first proposed to arrange the sciences in a series of steps,
each leading another. This general idea may be adopted, and we may adapt our
phraseology to the image of the Well of truth with flights of stairs leading
down into it (MS 1345, p.001, undated, NEM, vol III.2: 1122)
The first step of the ladder into the Well is the mathematical step. The
application of Comte's principle, revisited and iterated, leads to the
conclusion that everything that happens in the Well of Truth depends on
Mathematics and that without Mathematics, one cannot claim to be working inside
the Well. The result is that any formal construction, any opinion, however
authoritative, that does not justify a solidly established relationship with
mathematics is outside the Well. In this way, a host of informal doctrines are
produced, which can nevertheless be helpful insofar as it is possible to give
them a mathematized form inside the Well. I realize this is not everyone's
liking, especially those bricoleurs who think they've done mathematics because
they've drawn a childish picture with universal categories.
It should also be clear that the mathematics Peirce refers to cannot be limited
to those of his own time. A century separates us from the mathematics of which
Peirce was aware, a century of mathematical production available today on the
first step of the Well. No one can refuse the use of new mathematical objects,
especially if they are well connected with Peirce's intuitions because they
lack the training to enable them to apprehend them themselves. What's worse is
that, for the same reasons, a classification of the sciences that begins with
phenomenology, free of any mathematical dependency, is most often presented.
The reason I intervene at the heart of this rather literalist debate on
interpretants is that I have seen the notion of "sufficiently penetrating mind"
appear:
[CSP] "The Normal Interpretant is the Genuine Interpretant, embracing all that
the sign could reveal concerning the Object to a sufficiently penetrating
mind..."
This notion must be considered within the Peircean social conception of
science; that some minds are more penetrating than others, in general, is
conceivable. But rather than posing this question in terms of particular
competencies unequally distributed among the members of a scientific community,
perhaps we should first ask ourselves the question of the exactitude of the
thinking of the question and give ourselves the means to do so:
Every science has its mathematical part, in which certain results of the
special science are assumed as mathematical hypotheses. But it is not merely in
this way that logic is mathematical. It is mathematical in that way, and to a
far greater extent than any other science; but besides that it takes the
proceedings of mathematics in all their generality and founds upon them logical
principles. All necessary reasoning is strictly speaking mathematical
reasoning, that is to say, it is performed by observing something equivalent to
a mathematical diagram; but mathematical reasoning par excellence consists in
those peculiarly intricate kinds of reasoning which belong to the logic of
relatives. The most peculiarly mathematical of these are reasonings about
continuity of which geometrical topics, or topology, and the theory of
functions offer examples. In my eighth lecture I shall hope to make clear my
reasons for thinking that metaphysics will never make any real advance until it
avails itself of mathematics of this kind. (EP 2: 36)

And for that, you need to have the "mathematician's sword" in our hands:
I have gained an unfortunate reputation as a writer upon the algebra of logic.
It is generally understood that I hold logical algebra to be the main part of
logic. But that is quite a mistake. I am in the world but not of the world of
formal logic. A calculus, even in mathematics proper, is like the sword that
our warriors by sea and land carry at their sides. Having it there at hand
marks the mathematician as the sword marks his officer. (MS 1334, 1905)
And what could be more penetrating than a sword?
Regards,
Robert Marty