List,

I agree with JAS on the architectonic character of the classification of
the sciences. I want to complement what he says further and be even more
precise about Peirce's deeper thinking. Indeed, JAS is perfectly suitable
to note that applying the principle of classification (which Peirce borrows
from Auguste Comte, revisiting it as JAS mentioned) leads to placing the
Special Sciences in a position to receive their principles from semiotics.
But strictly speaking, applying the principle from the first trichotomy of
the Sciences of Discovery (CP 1.180) must lead to the more general
conclusion that semiotics itself receives its principles from Mathematics
and Philosophy (or Cenoscopy). More precisely, as we progress through the
successive trichotomies, we see that semiotics receives its principles from
a chain of dependencies that necessarily begins with Mathematics and
continues with Phenomenology, Aesthetics, Ethics, and Logic (the science of
the general laws of signs), which then trichotomizes into Speculative
Grammar, Critic and Methodeutic, before providing its principles to
Metaphysics.

Peirce is very precise on this point and on what needs to happen in the
minds of the scientists concerned:

*I set out from Comte's well-known scheme (or schemes). It seemed to me
that this embodied a most striking truth about the relations of sciences,
along with some glowing falsities. That truth I conceived, and still
conceive, to be that the results of one science, A, will often be applied
by another science, B, as principles or tools wherewith to solve its
problems (not of course, without research of its own), while science, B,
will perhaps suggest problems to science, A, but will not furnish it with
any great aid in solving its problems. I thought I ought to use this
principle of Comte's for all it was worth, without allowing it to run away
with me. For what I wish to produce is a scheme which shall exhibit, as far
as possible, the most real affinities of the different branches of science
as these sciences exist in the minds of those who are now actively pursuing
them, or better, as these men are coming to regard these affinities. *(MS
1339: p.4-5)

Peirce situates this schema in the Well of Truth, a metaphor that deserves
our attention, for it is in this Well that the Sciences of Discovery, and
hence scientific knowledge, will be built:

[ …] *Auguste Comte wrote that the sciences form a sort of ladder
descending into the Well of truth, each one leading on to another, those
which are more concrete and special drawing their principles **from those**
which are more abstract and general. *(CP 2.119)

*Every systematic philosopher must provide himself a classification of the
sciences. Comte first proposed to arrange the sciences in a series of
steps, each leading another. This general idea may be adopted, and we may
adapt our phraseology to the image of the Well of truth with flights of
stairs leading down into it *(MS 1345, p.001, undated, NEM, vol III.2: 1122)

The first step of the ladder into the Well is the mathematical step. The
application of Comte's principle, revisited and iterated, leads to the
conclusion that everything that happens in the Well of Truth depends on
Mathematics and that without Mathematics, one cannot claim to be working
inside the Well. The result is that any formal construction, any opinion,
however authoritative, that does not justify a solidly established
relationship with mathematics is outside the Well. In this way, a host of
informal doctrines are produced, which can nevertheless be helpful insofar
as it is possible to give them a mathematized form inside the Well. I
realize this is not everyone's liking, especially those bricoleurs who
think they've done mathematics because they've drawn a childish picture
with universal categories.

It should also be clear that the mathematics Peirce refers to cannot be
limited to those of his own time. A century separates us from the
mathematics of which Peirce was aware, a century of mathematical production
available today on the first step of the Well. No one can refuse the use of
new mathematical objects, especially if they are well connected with
Peirce's intuitions because they lack the training to enable them to
apprehend them themselves. What's worse is that, for the same reasons, a
classification of the sciences that begins with phenomenology, free of any
mathematical dependency, is most often presented.

The reason I intervene at the heart of this rather literalist debate on
interpretants is that I have seen the notion of "*sufficiently penetrating
mind*" appear:

*[CSP] "The Normal Interpretant is the Genuine Interpretant, embracing all
that the sign could reveal concerning the Object to a sufficiently
penetrating mind..." *

This notion must be considered within the Peircean social conception of
science; that some minds are more penetrating than others, in general, is
conceivable. But rather than posing this question in terms of particular
competencies unequally distributed among the members of a scientific
community, perhaps we should first ask ourselves the question of the
exactitude of the thinking of the question and give ourselves the means to
do so:

*Every science has its mathematical part, in which certain results of the
special science are assumed as mathematical hypotheses. But it is not
merely in this way that logic is mathematical**. It is mathematical in that
way, and to a far greater extent than any other science; but besides that
it takes the proceedings of mathematics in all their generality and founds
upon them logical principles. All necessary reasoning is strictly speaking
mathematical reasoning, that is to say, it is performed by observing
something equivalent to a mathematical diagram; but mathematical reasoning
par excellence consists in those peculiarly intricate kinds of reasoning
which belong to the logic of relatives. The most peculiarly mathematical of
these are reasonings about continuity of which geometrical topics, or
topology, and the theory of functions offer examples. In my eighth lecture
I shall hope to make clear my reasons for thinking that metaphysics will
never make any real advance until it avails itself of mathematics of this
kind. *(EP 2: 36)

And for that, you need to have the "mathematician's sword" in our hands:

*I have gained an unfortunate reputation as a writer upon the algebra of
logic. It is generally understood that I hold logical algebra to be the
main part of logic. But that is quite a mistake. I am in the world but not
of the world of formal logic. A calculus, even in mathematics proper, is
like the sword that our warriors by sea and land carry at their sides.
Having it there at hand marks the mathematician as the sword marks his
officer.* (MS 1334, 1905)

And what could be more penetrating than a sword?

Regards,

Robert Marty

Honorary Professor ; PhD Mathematics ; PhD Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*