Jon,

I have read your comments, and I have read several articles by Tony Jappy that
explain these issues in far greater depth and generality.  I strongly urge you
to study his writings.

From: "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
Sent: 4/4/24 12:39 PM
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Cc: Ahti Pietarinen <ahti.pietari...@gmail.com>, Francesco Bellucci
<bellucci.france...@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Evolution of Peirce's theoretical foundation from 1903
to the end

While I am at it, I might as well elaborate on my third reason for believing
that the proper order of the interpretant trichotomies for sign classification
is final, then dynamical, then immediate--namely, the ten sign classes that
result from applying the rule of determination are much more plausible than the
other way around, especially when accounting for the possibility of
misinterpretations.

Again, in this context, "determines" is not synonymous with "causes" nor
"precedes." Instead, it means "logically constrains," such that "a Possible can
determine nothing but a Possible" and "a Necessitant can be determined by
nothing but a Necessitant" (EP 2:481, 1908 Dec 23). For the interpretant
divisions in Peirce’s last complete taxonomy (CP 8.344-375, EP 2:482-490, 1908
Dec 24-25)--using "actuous" or "temperative" for a sign whose final
interpretant's purpose is "to produce action" or "to produce self-control,"
respectively (R 339:424[285r], 1906 Aug 31)--this imposes the following
restrictions.

- A gratific sign, whose final interpretant’s purpose is possible, must be a
sympathetic sign, whose dynamical interpretant’s mode of being is possible;
i.e., a sign that would ideally produce feelings can actually produce only
feelings.
- Only a temperative sign, whose final interpretant’s purpose is necessitant,
can be a usual sign, whose dynamical interpretant’s mode of being is
necessitant, although it might instead be existent (for a percussive sign) or
possible (for a sympathetic sign); i.e., only a sign that would ideally produce
self-control can actually produce further signs, although it might instead
produce exertions or feelings.
- A sympathetic sign, whose dynamical interpretant’s mode of being is possible,
must be a hypothetic sign, whose immediate interpretant’s mode of presentation
is possible; i.e., a sign that actually produces feelings can only present
those effects as abstract qualities.
- Only a usual sign, whose dynamical interpretant’s mode of being is
necessitant, can be a relative sign, whose immediate interpretant’s mode of
presentation is necessitant, although it might instead be existent (for a
categorical sign) or possible (for a hypothetic sign); i.e., only a sign that
actually produces further signs can present those effects as real relations,
although it might instead present them as concrete inherences or abstract
qualities.

Hence, the ten sign classes are gratific, sympathetic actuous, hypothetic
percussive actuous, categorical actuous, sympathetic temperative, hypothetic
percussive temperative, categorical percussive temperative, hypothetic usual,
categorical usual, and relative. The upshot is that when a sign is
misinterpreted, such that its dynamical interpretant's mode of being is of a
different universe from that of its final interpretant's purpose, the direction
of the deviation is always from necessitant to existent to possible--which
makes sense since 3ns always involves 2ns, which always involves 1ns.

By contrast, reversing the order of the interpretant trichotomies would require
the opposite, such that deviation would always be from possible to existent to
necessitant--which does not make sense since 2ns cannot be built up from 1ns,
and 3ns cannot be built up from 1ns and 2ns. A sign whose final interpretant's
purpose is to produce feelings could sometimes (somehow) actually produce
exertions or further signs as its dynamical interpretants instead, while a sign
whose final interpretant's purpose is to produce self-control would always
actually produce further signs as its dynamical interpretants.

Moreover, as I discussed on the List a few weeks ago, the trichotomy according
to the nature or mode of presentation of the immediate interpretant is
hypothetic/categorical/relative, directly corresponding to the three kinds of
propositions that are distinguishable by the number of lines of identity that
they require in Existential Graphs (EGs)--zero/one/two or more. The phemic
sheet is a strictly logical quasi-mind, so it can only be determined to a
further sign, namely, an EG that is explicitly scribed on it. Since all three
kinds of propositions can be represented by such an EG, the trichotomy for the
immediate interpretant must come after the one for the dynamical
interpretant--if it were the other way around, then only relative propositions
with at least two lines of identity could be scribed on the phemic sheet, which
is obviously not the case.

That said, since the trichotomy for the sign's dyadic relation with its final
interpretant (name/proposition/argument or seme/pheme/delome) presumably comes
after all three trichotomies for the interpretants themselves, regardless of
which way we arrange them, only categorical and relative signs can be
propositions (phemes). Hypothetic signs can only be names (semes), which would
be scribed on the phemic sheet without any attached lines of identity, if that
were allowed in Beta EGs--the interpretant as represented by the sign is
presented as a possible, not an existent.

Regards,

Jon

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 8:39 PM Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>

It is telling that this rebuttal does not address my first and most important
reason for equating "the Destinate Interpretant" to the final interpretant and
"the Explicit Interpretant" to the immediate interpretant (SS84, EP 2:481, 1908
Dec 23), namely, because the terms themselves clearly imply this. In fact, some
of the textual evidence offered below strongly supports my position.

TJ: In the Logic Notebook, Peirce offers the following very clear definition of
the term ‘immediate’: ‘to say that A is immediate to B means that it is present
in B’ (R339: 243Av,1905). This corresponds to descriptions Peirce gives of the
immediate interpretant as being the interpretant ‘in the sign’: ‘It is likewise
requisite to distinguish the Immediate Interpretant, i.e., the Interpretant
represented or signified in the Sign, from the Dynamic Interpretant, or effect
actually produced on the mind by the Sign’ (EP2: 482, 1908).

Being "immediate" in this sense is practically synonymous with being
"explicit." It is the interpretant that is right there in the sign itself,
which is why the corresponding trichotomy for sign classification is a division
according to its mode of presentation.

CSP as quoted by TJ: The Final Interpretant is the one Interpretative result to
which every Interpreter is destined to come if the Sign is sufficiently
considered ... The Final Interpretant is that toward which the actual tends.
(SS 111, 1909)

Here the final interpretant is unambiguously identified as the "destined"
interpretant, i.e., the "destinate" interpretant.

CSP as quoted by TJ: But we must note that there is certainly a third kind of
Interpretant, which I call the Final Interpretant, because it is that which
would finally be decided to be the true interpretation if consideration of the
matter were carried so far that an ultimate opinion were reached. (EP 2:496,
1909)

As Peirce says elsewhere, "No matter what his opinion at the outset may be, it
is assumed that he will end in one predestinated belief" (CP 7.327, 1873).
Also, "No modification of the point of view taken, no selection of other facts
for study, no natural bent of mind even, can enable a man to escape the
predestinate opinion" (CP 5.407, 1878). Also, "The logician maintains that
there is, namely, that they are all adapted to an end, that of carrying belief,
in the long run, toward certain predestinate conclusions which are the same for
all men" (CP 3.161, 1880). Also, "I call 'truth' the predestinate opinion, by
which I ought to have meant that which would ultimately prevail if
investigation were carried sufficiently far in that particular direction" (EP
2:457, 1911). Since the "ultimate opinion" is the "predestinate opinion," the
final interpretant is likewise the "destinate" interpretant.

TJ: JAS’s phenomenological hierarchy would suggest, too, that the dynamic
object is genuine and the immediate degenerate ...

Indeed, Peirce's recognition around 1904 that each sign has two objects and
three interpretants is the result of phaneroscopic analysis--within the genuine
triadic relation of representing or (more generally) mediating, the sign is the
first and simplest correlate, the object is the second correlate of middling
complexity, and the interpretant is the third and most complex correlate (CP
2.235-242, EP 2:290, 1903). Accordingly, the dynamical object is the genuine
object, as it is in itself, independent of the sign; and the immediate object
is the degenerate object, as it is represented by the sign.

TJ: It seems illogical to me to seek to place the immediate interpretant in a
classification or process at two places from the sign in which it is defined to
be present.

It is perfectly logical in a classification of signs, because the three
correlates of the genuine triadic relation of representing/mediating are the
genuine correlates--the sign itself, its dynamical object, and its final
interpretant. On the other hand, there is only a degenerate triadic relation
between the sign, its dynamical object, and its dynamical interpretant--it is
reducible to the sign's genuine dyadic relations with its dynamical
object/interpretant, each of which has its own trichotomy; and there are only
degenerate dyadic relations between the sign and its immediate
object/interpretant, which is why there are no separate trichotomies for these
relations. Moreover, all six discrete correlates are entia rationis--artifacts
of analysis prescinded from the real and continuous process of semiosis.

TJ: if the final interpretant as Peirce defines it here is that toward which
the actual tends one wonders at what point any actual interpretation (Id) might
take place, surely not after the final interpretant.

Again, this is a matter of logical ordering for the classification of signs,
not causal/temporal sequence within the process of semiosis. The final
interpretant is not the last interpretant in a series of dynamical
interpretants--recall that in 1906, "I confess that my own conception of this
third interpretant is not yet quite free from mist" (CP 4.536). Instead, it is
the normative interpretant, hence "normal interpretant" in some places--the
dynamical interpretant that the sign would produce under ideal circumstances.
It is "final" in the sense of a final cause, "that toward which the actual
[dynamical interpretant] tends," not an efficient cause that deterministically
necessitates the dynamical interpretant.

TJ: There is no suggestion here that the final interpretant determines the
sign’s meaning (of which the immediate interpretant is the exponent).

All three interpretants of a linguistic sign are aspects of its meaning. The
immediate interpretant is the range of what it possibly could mean in
accordance with its constituent word definitions and grammatical syntax, the
dynamical interpretant is what it actually does mean to any one interpreter of
it, and the final interpretant is what it necessarily would mean under ideal
circumstances, including after infinite investigation by an infinite community.

TJ: And surely misinterpretation and misconception depend upon the degree of
congruence between the intended meaning emanating from the utterer and the
actual reaction displayed by the interpreter. These definitions (in which Ii is
the sign’s inherent interpretability, Id the actual reaction to a sign and If a
future tendency) surely suggest that the only possibility of misinterpretation
comes from when, in an actual semiosis, the Id reaction is not congruent with
the intended interpretation.

On the contrary, a sign is mis-uttered to the extent that its immediate
interpretant deviates from the utterer's intention, while it is mis-interpreted
to the extent that a dynamical interpretant of it deviates from its final
(normative) interpretant. We are not always completely successful in accurately
conveying our intentions with the signs that we utter, so their final
interpretants are not strictly dictated by those intentions. "So far as the
intention is betrayed in the Sign, it belongs to the immediate Interpretant. So
far as it is not so betrayed, it may be the Interpretant of another sign, but
it is in no sense the interpretant of that sign" (R 339, 1906 Apr 2). As
William Abraham nicely puts it, "If meaning has an equivalence, it is to be
located less in intention and more in achievement. What is achieved may be more
or less than what the author intended"
(https://place.asburyseminary.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1421&context=asburyjournal,
 p. 20).

TJ: To which I reply that Chapter Four of my book has a Table (4.1) displaying
14 six- and ten-division typologies established between 1904 and 1908, of which
only the first two (both from 1904) have the order given by JS - all the others
have immediate > dynamic > variously named final interpretants.

I do not have the book, but Peirce's late taxonomies are almost always arranged
in phaneroscopic order--from the simplest correlate (sign) to the most complex
correlate (interpretant); for each correlate, from the most degenerate
(immediate) to the genuine; for each dyadic relation, coming right after its
second correlate; and for the genuine triadic relation, coming last. He never
provided a typology with all ten trichotomies arranged in their proper logical
order for sign classification--if he had done so, then there would obviously be
no room for debate about what he had in mind. Instead, we have only a few
partial orderings--S, S-Od, S-If (1903); S-If, S-Id (1904); and Od, Oi, S, If,
Id, Ii (1908), taking destinate=final and explicit=immediate.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt