Ben says:

Yet attributions, ascriptions, copulations, distributions, etc., etc., of
predicates to subjects, or of accidents to substances, or of qualities to
reactions, all have a certain similarity and parallelism. Then when we
associate connotation in one way with firstness, quality, & iconicity and,
in another way, with thirdness, meaning/implication/entailment, we get
confused. Or at least I get confused.

[JOE] That is exactly the confusion that I was trying to express, Ben.
Then, dropping further down in your reply, you say:

[BEN]  Anyway, I suspect that it's as if the formation of a proposition
leads to a polymorphous play of roles, abstractions, & who knows what, in
potentia, so that seconds can take on firstness, vice versa, maybe all
combinations, but in any case, such that all will take on a certain
thirdness, for the formation of a proposition is semiosis. So a quality's
taking on thirdness in that regard is just as a reaction's doing so.

[JOE] I agree.  Then, dropping down a bit further, you say:

[BEN]  These are the sorts of things about which in the past you've spoken
in terms of "dimensions." Sure, they're still puzzling, as such things
always are. But in pointing at them and their familiar oddities now with
special force, what particular puzzzle are you pointing to?

[JOE] What I am especially concerned with at present is the distinction he
is often more or less consciously working with between expressed thought and
thought which occurs "silently".  In general, he is as much concerned to
establish something about unexpressed thought as he is about expressed
thought, though we usually content ourselves with regarding him as being
concerned only with the latter.  The philosophical move he is making is not
merely to establish that expressed thought -- taking the form of
word-signs -- has all of the features which are required for the purposes of
logic, so that logic can proceed on the basis of verbal expressions of
thought  -- things that appear on blackboards or pieces of paper --  without
being defeated by the inability to access invisible -- or, more generally,
imperceptible -- thought, but also to establish that unexpressed thought,
though often non-linguistic because it makes do with a person's personal and
unshared symbolically functioning notation, is nevertheless capable of being
regarded AS being symbolic just as a word is.  In other words, he seems to
regard the introduction of the conception of the symbol as a way of getting
past the limitations implicit both in the word "thought" but also implicit
in the word "word".  On can thus talk indifferently of words OR thoughts.
The so-called "linguistic turn" is the turn to expressed thought -- the
internal dialogue is just the externally observable dialogue imagined to be
what also transpires imperceptibly because it really makes no difference
what occurred imperceptibly, anyway -- but Peirce didn't merely make the
linguistic turn but also re-turned to the unexpressed to reclaim it, as it
were, on the basis of its presumed equivalence to what he has established
about linguistically expressed thought.   The linguistic turn replaces
"thought" by "word"; the semiotic turn and return replaces both "word" and
"thought" by "symbol" (though also of course by "icon" and "index" as
appropriate, too).  Maybe that is not an important further step but only a
gratuitous addition that really has no logical significance, but I think
Peirce did regard it as a significant move.
     Over the years I recall reading several different books that claimed to
be able to teach people how to calculate with extraordinary rapidity and
accuracy involving mental moves and observations not described in the usual
instructions on how to perform calculations.  (There are apparently a number
of such counting techniques which individuals seem to have mastered but
never seem to be able to explain clearly enough to others to have any effect
on the pedagogy of mathematics.)  The ability of autistic "lightning
calculators" to calculate remote dates and weekdays, to count spilled
matches with a glance, and so on, or of musical geniuses to perform feats of
memory and musical construction that seem unbelievably difficult as
individual accomplishments but have been shown time and again to be
possible, and the like, seem to require being accounted for in ways that
seem impossible when construed merely as rapid movements which are
linguistic in character but which must be construed as involving symbolism
as well as iconism.  I have a hunch that Peirce -- who had his own unique
and personal way of thinking things through -- was concerned with that, too,
though it was not high on the list of his priorities to develop any research
in that direction.

[BEN]   Peirce in Kaina Stoicheia speaks of the real as the _hic et nunc_
and as only part of a pattern. That's just not how he usually talks about
the real. Instead it's how he talks about the existent, the actual.

[JOE]  That is what occasioned my expression of puzzlement.  I was not
intending to be arguing that we can dispense with any of the three -- being,
existence, reality -- as Gary is perhaps construing what I was saying, but
wanting to say only that  I don't understand yet how these terms are being
used in a way that satisfies me that I understand what those distinctions
really are.  I was shocked, for example, to find Peirce saying that "no sign
is a real thing", though he does go ahead to explain this in such a way that
it does not seem to involve a retraction of his realism about signs after
all.  But I don't really understand that yet.  I don't think I've got
anything to say on this further at present which will be helpful to anybody,
though.    I do find your reflections on this helpful, but I can't go
significantly beyond them so far.

Joe Ransdell