Dear Arnold,

I believe L 224, the letter Peirce wrote to William James on 1909 Feb 26 is
exceedingly important here. In print you find it in volume III/2, p.836 ff. of
"The New Elements of Mathematics", ed.: Carolyn Eisele.

What is important is the fact that general transitivity has a property that
would in Boolean algebra amount to the "Idempotency Law", i.e. AA=A. You can see this clearly on page 838. It would be very tedious to try to cite things here in
an email text, so I can only indicate what is meant.

Since the idempotency expresses identity, we can see here quite clearly why
Peirce in connection with the Existential Graphs spoke of "ter-identity" (as in
"line of teridentity"). But this very insight in fact goes back to the 1867
paper "On the Natural Classification of Arguments" (see CP 2.461 ff) where