Thanks Ben, I think that you have got it better than me.
What is meant is certainly as you put it: "to say that all men are mortal is the same as to say that for every man, for every character, if said man possesses said character, then there is a mortal who possesses said character". This expresses that the comprehension of mortal is included into the comprehension of man while the converse holds only for the respective extensions (and it is precisely such an inclusive view of implication that B. Russell will reproach to Peirce). I was used to make the point that in order to read correctly Peirce we have to throw out of our heads what we learned before, but I was not obeying my own maxim here :-).

Thanks Ben and thanks to Thomas Riese too for opening this thread

Bernard

Benjamin Udell a ¨crit :

Bernard, list,
> I returned to the sources and fell short with the following:

175. The forms A -< B, or A implies B, and A ~-< B, or A does not imply B †3, embrace both hypothetical and categorical propositions. Thus, /*to say that all men are mortal is the same as to say that if any man possesses any character whatever then a mortal possesses that character*/. To say, 'if A, then B ' is obviously the same as to say that from A, B follows, logically or extralogically. By thus identifying the relation expressed by the copula with that of illation, we identify the proposition with the inference, and the term with the proposition. This identification, by means of which all that is found true of term, proposition, or inference is at once known to be true of all three, is a most important engine of reasoning, which we have gained by beginning with a consideration of the genesis of logic
>The assertion I have underlined in bold strikes me: I would say exactly the converse. Am I wrong? or did the editors make a mistake or did Peirce makes it? (there seems to be a conflict here between extension and comprehension) [The remainder works well for me] "Is the same as" sounds like an equivalence relation. If Peirce meant an equivalence, then the converse is the same. But the equivalence claim doesn't seem _/prima facie/_ true, so I think that we're talking about the same issue. One might have expected Peirce to say something like *"/to say that all men are mortal is the same as to say that for every man there's a mortal such that, for every character, if said man possesses it then said mortal possesses it."/* (I'm assuming that there won't be considered to exist two distinct things such that one's characters comprise a strict subset of the other.) The point there is that the choice of man & mortal is fixed before one starts speaking of all characters. But instead Peirce let the choice of mortal vary dependently on the choice of man & character. I.e., Peirce's assertion amounted to this: */to say that all men are mortal is the same as to say that for every man, for every character, if said man possesses said character, then there's a mortal who possesses said character./* That all men are mortal seems to imply its asserted equivalent, but doesn't automatically seem implied _/by/_ it. Instead one wonders, can there be a man whose every character is possessed by one or another mortal without there being some same single mortal who possesses all of the said man's characters? So now the truth of the equivalence depends on what a "character" is, among other things, and /whether any given thing must have at least one unique character/ (in which case I think that the equivalence claim would be true) and one starts to wonder whether the whole issue will get into infinities in some sensitive way. I remember Peirce's defining "character" somewhere but I can't find it.
Best, Ben
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]